Options

Used 10D or new Nikon D70?

PatrickPatrick Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 23, 2005 in Cameras
I can't really justify a 20D at the moment so thought I would consider a used 10D. I am not sure if there are any left over NEW 10D's or not but I see a few
used ones here in the SF Bay area on Craig's List. They seem to sell in the
$700 range.

I have played a bit with both the D70 Nikon and 10D. Which is the better camera over the long term? Which is most rugged and can take a real
hammering? I am neither gentle nor kind to my cameras. They ride on dirt bikes with me, cross rivers and crash. So I could buy a used 10D or a new
D70 for about the same price (no lens with Canon) . Any thoughts?

My current Canon G3 has now totally given up the ghost, it shuts down when zoomed in, goes totally blurry at times and must be re-started to work again and is generally a total POS and has never been right IMO. Not even sure if this camera is worth fixing. Anyone know a reputable company that can fix a Canon G3?

I'm still looking for a higher end camera but would like the smaller camera too
from time to time.

I know the Canon seems to be King around here but would anyone consider
the D70 as the near equal to the 10D?

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Patrick,

Either camera will suit your needs. Once you start with a DSLR its hard to change brands later on after you have bought a few lenses. I would figure out what lenses I was going to use and then take at look at what Nikon and Canon have to offer.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Maybe try to swing a used eos 1d Mark I.

Weather sealed and very durable, especially if you use a weather sealed lens.ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Harry has the whole issue covered...either camera will do just fine but remember that you are commited to that particular lens mount.

Gus
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I was in a similar problem as yourself, the 20D was too much, and I didn't like the build of the D70. I ended up buying a used 10D from a Dgrinner and really liked my choice. The camera feels a tad nicer than my friend's D70, and since I'm used to Canon SLR's the controls came more natural.

I highly suggest you follow Harry's advice and choose a lens system before buying the body. It's very expensive to switch down the road.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Thanks guys.
    I too am somewhat partial to the Canon systems even though
    the D70 is certainly tempting.

Hope I can find good low mileage 10D!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Seriously i would be proud to own a nikon but in all my internal conficts as to which to choose...canon won on bang for buck in that particular price range. Had i gone up a few $$ then prob nikon.

Canon had the particular lenses i was after at the time also.

Have a look at the colour harry gets with a nikon in his bird shots. Outstanding ! They have great stuff.

Gus
    PS..Remember as mentioned here...the lenses (unless your andy) will most def outlast the camera body.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Pulled the Trigger!
    Funny how in life nothing ever goes as planned.

After hanging out with a couple photo buddies, handling the D70, a 10D and 20D I was finally convinced to step up and get the 20D. I found a near new 20D with the kit and a few other extras. I had looked at a couple 10Ds with no lens and high mileage in the $700 to $800 range.

As it turns out, the 20D was not that much more........I guess I got an
    OK deal:D Now I just have to learn how to use it........in the "creative"
    modes. I notice the manual is smaller and simpler than the G3 manual.
    Maybe Canon are learning something about elegance and simplicity in
    industrial design and paying their technical writers more?

The 20D 18-55mm Kit lens is a bit of a dissapointment so far. My buddy has some prime lens for his 10D which seem to perform better than my kit lens. It looks OK through the view finder but not so great on my Imac screen. Just slightly better than my old Canon G3. He also has a Zoom lens which looked great compared to my Kit Lens.

I really like the zoom range of the 18-85mm Canon lens. Is this a substantially
    better piece of glass than the 18-55mm? What about the Sigma or Tamron in this same range? Or is there a better choice for a versatile lens that has some speed and clarity?

My background is years with a Nikon F2 and F3, using mostly a 24mm, 35mm, 105mm and 70-200 zoom.

I really like the range of the new digital zooms, but they are quite slow. Any thoughts on a good "first" lens for this camera that will let it (and hopefully me) flex its muscles? thumb.gif

Thanks to everyone for comments here!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    I would suggest you spend some time with the kit lens before you go buying another. Of course a prime will outdo the kit lens with experience but for what the kit lens costs...its a great asset in my opnion. I can slip it on & often outdo my 135 f/2 L prime in sharpness because its easier to use than a prime for me atm. God its almost free.

You are going to get many different opinions for your question but i for one will always carry my kit lens AND my 3 primes.

This is with my kit lens. Not the sharpest of shots but i walk about with it & dont worry about bumping it in crowds or dust etc.

18459332-M.jpg
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    Thats a very good picture of the kit lens. I still need a lot of practice with my kit lens on my 20D, but a sharper lens would definately make it easier.

Keep the kit lens for a while. You would be suprised at what kind of shots you can get with it. It does lack in a lot of areas, but it's a good lens for the price. It also has a fairly good macro range for what it is. The kit lens is the only lens I have at the moment. Still saving up for the 100mm macro.icon10.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    but a sharper lens would definately make it easier.
    I have the 135 f/2 ...arguably canons sharpest lens & i make a LOT more mistakes with it than with my kit lens or my P&S.

I learnt that throwing money (not suggesting anyone is doing this) at a camera/lens isnt the answer to good photography but practise practise practise is the answer. I can whip my kit lens out anytime & take a good shot but im still way down at the bottom of the curve with my good stuff even after thousands of shots.

What im trying to say (without insulting anyone) is that money isnt the answer to good shots...knowing your gear is.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    But aren't primes usually take longer to get used to and get good at? I was just talking about sharp lenses in general, whether it be a prime or a zoom.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    But aren't primes usually take longer to get used to and get good at? I was just talking about sharp lenses in general, whether it be a prime or a zoom.
    I dont know RB...maybe andy/PF or ian can show some light on it.