Options

First Try

spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited October 26, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Shooting this style is way outside of my comfort zone, but having this forum has inspired me to give it a try. Technically these pics are not my first attempts, but they are with out a doubt the first ones that come anywhere close to something worth sharing.

691361038_XGzW8-L.jpg

691392611_VPFFA-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Great first attempt! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Of the two, I'm digging #1 more. It might be a little underexposed or have too much contrast. I'd like to see the white strips in the hat be brighter.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Great first attempt! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Of the two, I'm digging #1 more. It might be a little underexposed or have too much contrast. I'd like to see the white strips in the hat be brighter.

Thanks!

I did process it a little underexposed because her shirt was a bit see through. :)
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    nr1 looks nice, even if no see-through ...
    probably wouldnt done any harm showing a hint of a nipple either?
    anyway i like it,
    i would love to see more of her face, so you show just enough to make me curious,
    nice, absolutely "worth sharing" as you put it.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    I did process it a little underexposed because her shirt was a bit see through. :)

I like the contrast and exposure of #1... but the whole point of street photography is to show a candid moment as it was, so if her top was "a bit see-through", why not show that? Obviously it wasn't bothering her...
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    PedroPedro Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    #1 is good. Love the hat. "wowgreen" is fun in a bw shot.

#2 does nothing to me.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    Thanks!

Hi, Sean - Keep posting! The first shot is definitely the better of the two - and I definitely would make the blouse see-through, if that's what you saw - particularly with the Wowgreen sign, which would then make more sense.

The second is just a nice mother/child shot - with very nice lighting. But given that you say you're not yet comfortable working this way, it's an excellent attempt at something. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback! I reprocessed #1 without underexposing it in ACR. This got me more contrast and the very slight see through went away on its own.

For #2 I had the "getting closer" challenge in mind.

693734652_WkGjA-L.jpg
  • Options
    PedroPedro Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    It's better!