First try with "model"

fireguy.edfireguy.ed Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 26, 2009 in People
Ok, a friend of ours was over and she was checking her phone. Just the way she was looking and the light made me think it would make a good photo. Probably never be able to replicate, but I asked her to pose any way. We had a lot of fun and are looking to do some more when our schedules permit.

Seamless white paper propped up on hutch and armoire for most backgrounds, main lights: 2x285v, 45 deg each side, and OLD promaster for BG light. Used a blanket and a curtain for other BG's.

674452534_EZWnD-M.jpg

674457490_3SotS-M.jpg

674476015_msrKU-M.jpg

678523352_8BdFR-M.jpg

678534172_Gq9qG-M.jpg

678707394_vW9Mo-M.jpg

C & C welcome

Ed

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Ed,
    congrats on your first session! thumb.gif

Lighting-wise #1 & #3 are OK.

##4,5 and 6 are missing fill/key.

#2 is the worst - never shoot outdoors during the high noon in the foliage ne_nau.gif

All in all you can a lot of stuff with 3 lights, you just need to use them wisely. My default setup (for portraits, I mean0 would be two lights in a diagonal position, e.g.
    a) rembrandt + hair
    b) butterfly/loop + rim
    And then 3d light can be used for BG or as a fill.
    By getting a reflector you can greatly improve your versatility on a cheap, thus using it for fill and using the 3d light for BG or other purposes...

In fact my most recent trend is to use all three lights as a rim, but that's a niche lighting and normally used for scantily clad models only...mwink.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • fireguy.edfireguy.ed Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thanks Nik, that's the kind of info I'm look to get back.

This shoot was just the two of us at first, and trying to prop the reflector up against a lawn chair wasn't quite working outrolleyes1.gif

A fellow photog came over and I think a few of the color bg shots might have been taken by him. We were swapping cameras, lenses and cf cards.

A lot of this was "what happens if we do ...?", so we're looking for the feedback.

We just picked up some more low end "studio" equipment, so now we get to try it again...:ivar
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nice start for your first session with a model.
    I agree 1 & 3 have the best light but the poses & crops kinda shoot them in the foot.

Keep Shootingthumb.gif

Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com