Zoom affect with Leaves

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
[
All those pretty leaves are not so pretty anymore since they need raked.
I've wanted to try the 'zoom' affect and thought leaves would make a great subject. So, to take the doldrums out of raking leaves I thought I would experiment. Nothing special about the photos but I'm excited about this because this was done 'TOTALLY' in camera!!!! Besides; after raking a million leaves this is just about how they began to look to me. :D How else do you make a boring yard of dead leaves abstract? :D The last one is my 'Tony Sweet' inspired attempt. Your suggestions are appreciated as I learn this technique.

692000731_gecGH-XL.jpg

692004400_mT8ek-XL.jpg

693342479_tHRqc-XL.jpg

692017560_Qfyky-L.jpg

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    This is a very nice series Eia. Love the green streaks and sense of motion in 2 & 3 but #4 is just outstanding. clap.gifclap.gif I just came into the house and sat down at the computer after 4 hours of "leaf patrol" so I totally agree with your statement "All those pretty leaves are not so pretty anymore since they need raked" :(:

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Can't look at your series for very long, they give me motion sickness--seriously, must get off this ride!

Love the colors though!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Can't look at your series for very long, they give me motion sickness--seriously, must get off this ride!

Love the colors though!

15524779-Ti.gif
    Randy
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

same here.
    I like it, but I can only look at it for about a second before my eyes are about to explode.

have you tried masking it some or reducing the opacity?
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    This is a very nice series Eia. Love the green streaks and sense of motion in 2 & 3 but #4 is just outstanding. clap.gifclap.gif I just came into the house and sat down at the computer after 4 hours of "leaf patrol" so I totally agree with your statement "All those pretty leaves are not so pretty anymore since they need raked" :(:

Well, I get to go back to Arizona and rake rock in the front yard but at least the wind does not blow it everywhere.:D I hope you have a rest from 'leaf patrol' --too funny!
    edited October 26, 2009

Love the colors though!

Yea, I can look at them for a few seconds and hit escape! Thanks for the comment!
    edited October 26, 2009
    I love the second image with the rake.

These are so much fun and you executed them well.

Great series of images.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

You must like carnival rides if the images didn't make you dizzy!:D Thanks for the comment!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    These photos made my eyes do things they've never done before rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 26, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    These photos made my eyes do things they've never done before rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Well...for some reason that struck me as really funny!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Well...for some reason that struck me as really funny!

Glad you like it -- I don't see how you could even edit them :D Showed the hubby and he could actually look at them and liked them too thumb.gif
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    First time I needed drammamine to get through a set of picturesrolleyes1.gif

The last one would be my pick...... azzarorolleyes1.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    First time I needed drammamine to get through a set of picturesrolleyes1.gif

The last one would be my pick...... azzarorolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment Mary and AZ. Yes, it was 'fun' to edit them but all I had to do was give it a crop and a slide so I wasn't looking at them for long!rolleyes1.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Eia,

Great work. These other family members must be wimps....I've been looking at these shots for hours. OH CRAP!! I just noticed.....I've got rug burns on my eyes where my contact lenses have been spinning.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I don't like it at all. Way too harsh...just plain obnoxious.

A circular gradient at a reduced opacity on the filter layer to soften the effect might have worked.ne_nau.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Eia,

Great work. These other family members must be whimps....I've been looking at these shots for hours. OH CRAP!! I just noticed.....I've got rug burns on my eyes where my contact lenses have been spinning.

Tom

Wimps indeed :lol4
    Randy
    edited October 28, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I don't like it at all. Way too harsh...just plain obnoxious.

A circular gradient at a reduced opacity on the filter layer to soften the effect might have worked.ne_nau.gif

Thanks for your comment - I appreciate it. It is noted! Actually though, this was an experiment, the first time I tried the zoom. It is just an affect and yes one to make a person dizzy. :D
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Very cool effect. As I scrolled down the page I got dizzy. You should print one of them big and see if it has the same effect.
    edited October 29, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    Very cool effect. As I scrolled down the page I got dizzy. You should print one of them big and see if it has the same effect.

That would be interesting! Thanks for the suggestion; I know a few hippies that might appreciate it!mwink.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I really like this technique a lot and it seldom makes me dizzy. I especially like the one with the rake--very clever use of the zoom technique. Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com