Options

reasonable fee for milage/one night stay

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in Weddings
Hello folks,
What do you suggest charging for travel? I have been asked to cover a wedding that would require me to drive over two hours each way and get a hotel room. How do you handle these situations? I was thinking of charging a certain fee per mile (for gas/wear and tear/time) and a basic hotel fee that would cover a decent place. Specifics are appreciated. :) Lisa
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I would say whatever the going rate is for mileage in your state. I think colorado is like .55/mile but not sure. Should state on tax forms.

Hotel stay... $100?
  • Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Expenses
    Charge a flat rate. 2 hours drive puts you about 100 miles away? At ??mpg you can work out your gas usage, and pre book a hotel. That way you can get the fee up front with no arguments
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    digger2 wrote:
    Charge a flat rate. 2 hours drive puts you about 100 miles away? At ??mpg you can work out your gas usage, and pre book a hotel. That way you can get the fee up front with no arguments

I only a per mile fee on trips not over 50miles one way....other wise I just charge a flat rate for a tank of gas....that way wear and tear and all is included and for hotel just charge what it is going to cost you....check prices on line.....I do not stick clients for a 4 or 5 star hotel....all I want is a clean bed and clean shower...if I can get a pool or hot tube that is a bonus..so most of my stays are in Motel 6 or 8 or something comparable....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    don't forget the rehearsal.

for venue's I've never been to, I try to make the rehearsal. then, are you really going to want to drive home after a 12 hour day? it's up to you, but the couple of "overnight" wedding's i've done, I either stayed two nights or really regretted not.

mileage...i charge the state rate over 50 miles. traveling aint' cheap...you spend more on meals, etc...so please don't sell yourself short (like i've done a few times!)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    more detail
    Thanks for sharing everyone!!!

My round trip will be 250 miles, so it'd be $150 for state mileage/wear and tear and I'm thinking $100 for hotel stay. I definitely want to be there for the rehearsal.

If they would like me to stay later than 8 I'd charge a second $100 for the next night(?) If they would like to take advantage of the comp engagement shoot, I wouldn't charge mileage.

Any thoughts? Sound reasonable?
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    IRS Mileage Rate
    There is no such thing as a state rate. There is an IRS Rate - $0.55 a mile. so it's about $137.50 plus two nights hotel....the best way to charge your client is arrive at a Per Diem rate. (Per day) include mileage, your expect hotel rate and Dinner the night before, breakfast and lunch the day of, dinner is at the wedding, and breakfast the next day. If you are reasonable about it then it isn't an issue. Do not let the clients make your hotel reservation...you want to stay where you and your gear are safe. One photographer told a story of being put up at a totally unacceptable hotel complete with ladies of the night, drug dealers and a drive through a bad area - away from the venue.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Don't forget to include your time in your charge - 2 hrs each way is 1/2 day's worth of work you can't do somewhere else.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc