abstract photo

littleparkersmomlittleparkersmom Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited October 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I'm a virgin here at dgrin so be gentle with me! My favorite theme in photos is abstract, or aka what is it???. I took this one yesterday and no it's not zombie brains!

[IMG]http://[/img]692727000_bwuQh-M.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!

Susan
Chicago, Fort Worth, Bolivar Peninsula
www.imagesbysusansmith.com

Comments

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Welcome Susan. Well your subject is certainly abstract. I'm pretty sure it's not a bucket of rancid hog entrails...I definitely think it is some sort of plant material, perhaps the center of some flower and it is green.headscratch.gif I'll just have to wait until you tell us or someone guesses.
    Cool shot though. Welcome aboard.
    wl
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    Welcome Susan. Well your subject is certainly abstract. I'm pretty sure it's not a bucket of rancid hog entrails...I definitely think it is some sort of plant material, perhaps the center of some flower and it is green.headscratch.gif I'll just have to wait until you tell us or someone guesses.
    Cool shot though. Welcome aboard.
    wl

This waiting around to find out the answer to "what is this?" is going to kill me! Not good with the suspense and I'm 100% baffled as to what I'm looking at---My best three guesses:
    1. Some kind of bell pepper with cheese.
    2. Green worms
    3. Some kind of seaweed.

Or maybe I just need glasses.

Please post bigger next time so we can really get the full effect.
    Oh and welcome to posting on Dgrin:D !
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Susan and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif.

It does look organic, but I don't have a clue as to what it is. One of the things that makes it difficult is that there is nothing to give you a sense of scale--is it a macro? ne_nau.gif Of course, as an abstract, that really doesn't matter.
  • littleparkersmomlittleparkersmom Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2009
    so what is it?
    It's a smashed ( I found it that way) Horse Apple from a Bois D'Arc Tree. Here's a photo of another one from the same place.
    [IMG]http://[/img]694599856_dmvRF-M.jpg

I don't have a macro lens, that's my next purchase. Thanks so much for all the input! There are more of these on my website.

bowdown.gifI'm not worthy!
    Susan
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    It's a smashed ( I found it that way) Horse Apple from a Bois D'Arc Tree. Here's a photo of another one from the same place.
    [IMG]http://[/img]694599856_dmvRF-M.jpg

I don't have a macro lens, that's my next purchase. Thanks so much for all the input! There are more of these on my website.

bowdown.gifI'm not worthy!
    Susan

AHA! I was closerolleyes1.gif .
    Thanks for not making me wait another day.

Looking forward to the next round.

PS--I like your disclosure "found it that way" lol--sure ya did.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009

PS--I like your disclosure "found it that way" lol--sure ya did.

:lol4
    Randy
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Susan,

Welcome, I took a quick look at your web site, and there is one thing that does bug me.

It might just be me, but I normally leave a site that uses large distracting watermarks. Perhaps think about a smaller less obtrusive mark that will allow a viewer to see clearly see your image yet still have a watermark that identifies you as the copyright holder and discourages unauthorized use.

Sam
  • littleparkersmomlittleparkersmom Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2009
    watermark
    Thanks for the input Sam! I'm still new to this smugmug thing and I am trying to work out the details.

I faded the watermark quite a bit. You might look and see if it's any better or I welcome any suggestions on how to fix it.

:photo

Susan
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Susan,

I am by NO means an expert on anything. Protecting images from unauthorized use is never going to be 100% effective.

Watermarking is a balance between an attempt to mark the image in such a way as to discourage theft but not discourage purchase.

Each needs to make up there own mind on this. I prefer a subtle watermark at the bottom of the image to identify me and yet allow the viewer the ability to see the image as intended. You can limit the size displayed along with the watermark so when they do get their grubby little hands on it they can't really get a nice print.

Our efforts here merely keep the impulsive and honest people honest. IF they really want the image they will get it.

Sam
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin Susan :D

I liked your photo -- look forward to seeing more thumb.gif