Subway Swirl and some candids...

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited October 28, 2009 in Landscapes
Had a great time with Aaron and Joel. What a hike! 400ft straight down a cliff in the dark, 6 miles round trip up and over boulders and then back up that 400ft cliff at the end of the day. I was exhausted. I'm planning on going back to get a few shots I missed at some point but I think I will work out a bit before hand so I don't feel like I will die on the climb out. By the way, it is very slippery in the subway section...

"Subway Swirl"
693534201_hAmWB-L.jpg

AaronNelson
693531782_ZhCU2-L.jpg

KDog
693535096_cMNza-L.jpg

Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Love the saturation on that first shot! Danny was trying in vain to get some swirl there but there weren't enough leaves. It was fun watching him try though. That shot turned out really good.

And yes, it's *extremely* slick there, where's the candid of your Conan moment? :D

Looks like your buddies need to get some waterproof rain pants so they don't have to do all that squatting. They're taking photos, not playing catcher for the Yankees, they don't need to put that much stress on their legs lol3.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 26, 2009
    WOW! Dude, layoff the magic mushrooms! :wow rolleyes1.gif

Hahaha, kidding... what a great idea. Looks great! thumb.gif

Nice candids too. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Wow, nice swirl shot Bill. clap.gif How did you do that? What does it look like naturally (just curious)?
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    First one looks like you found Willy Wonka's factory. That is some pretty crazy saturation and even crazier that it works. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    That first one turned out pretty nice. I'd be tempted to bring the blues down just a bit though.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    the first is really cool, I'd love to see it in person. I would agree about desaturating the blues a bit. great jobthumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    oh sure! we go to a Fatali gallery and his heavy sat's rubbed off on you...?eek7.gif

lol, j/k I really do like the heavy hand on this one...! it does work and Im glad you shared this!

clap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited October 27, 2009
    oh sure! we go to a Fatali gallery and his heavy sat's rubbed off on you...?eek7.gif

lol, j/k I really do like the heavy hand on this one...! it does work and Im glad you shared this!

clap.gif
    Remember, there were "NO ENHANCEMENTS". :nono

rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    slide of hand statement if ever one...
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Wow! Some colors:-) thumb.gifclap.gif
    Would be very interesting to see the "original" for #1...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Remember, there were "NO ENHANCEMENTS". :nono

rolleyes1.gif

And did they tell you about how he sat out for 3 weeks to get the shot of the moon and fin rocks- which only occurs like that once a year??

rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I processed this on my laptop screen (which isn't the best for judging colors) then I ran it through Topaz Adjust. I will probably revisit it when I'm using my other monitor. Once I'm done with this image I'm printing it on metallic paper and hanging it up.
    dlplumer wrote:
    How did you do that? What does it look like naturally (just curious)?

The stuff in the water is a bunch of yellow leaves slowly and continuously spinning around and around. 30 second exposure.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited October 28, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    And did they tell you about how he sat out for 3 weeks to get the shot of the moon and fin rocks- which only occurs like that once a year??

rolleyes1.gif
    Hahaha, no. He was too busy hitting on some chick who was in the store to pay any attention to us. :nah Crazy thing was all those No-Enhancement signs everywhere. Then there's a blurb on the wall that says that he's invented all sorts of new masking techniques. headscratch.gif But I will say that looking at his oversaturated works definitely had an impact on how I processed my set. And I'm pretty sure it had a hand in Bill's shot here as well. mwink.gif