In my backyard (Sympetrum corruptum)

fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Holy Macro
A few Sympetrum corruptum were in my backyard, but I couldn't get much closer than six feet without scaring them off. They usually perch low to the ground, so I had to lay flat on the ground and approach a few inches at a time, hand-held.

#1 Here is a female on a leaf
4048171019_ffa2777081_b.jpg

#2 Here is a mature male with blood-red markings blending in with fall colors
4048917196_eeaace7667_b.jpg

#3 I'm not really a fan of this kind of portrait, but out of curiosity I approached until I was able to get within the close-focus range of my lens, 1:1
4049069288_ef05bec233_b.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Worth the crawl - lovely captures
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
  • fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Thanks for comments. It is a bit ironic that I have never gotten as close a shot of S. corruptum where I normally shoot them as I got in my own backyard. ne_nau.gif
  • CapularisCapularis Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Great shots and a co-operative subject!

Just a general comment on dragonfly/damsel fly eyes - why do they never appear in focus? Even when they are in the correct plane, they seem to have this soft, de-focused look to them.
    Capularis

Splendor awaits in minute proportions.
    E.O. Wilson
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Frons--I have found the same thing: some species of dragonflies and damselflies are much less skittish when they are approached at their own level. I also discovered this accidentally, after slithering along on my stomach one day.

Capularis--someone who knows more about entomology than I do can chime in, but I think the phenomenon you are describing applies to dragonflies, not damselflies. The latter have completely different, spherical eyes. (I'll post a picture of one below). All my shots of dragonfly eyes have the characteristic you noted. I have assumed that the actual eye is just the part on the top, where you can see lenses, and that the bottom is a smooth structure of some kind.

620743031_Tt7CV-L.jpg