Placing your brand in the shopping cart

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited December 7, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
This afternoon we shipped a feature that represents the first step of extending your brand through the shopping experience. In the pro tab of your control panel you'll find a pro branding center (with just one option so far) that will show you how to modify every page of the shopping cart to look something like:

693855820_eCmiS-O.jpg

Here's how to do it:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/pro-photography-branding

The beautiful drop shadows you see and rounded corners work with Firefox and Safari, and gracefully degrade (erem, are not an option) on Internet Explorer.

Here's what it looks like with a transparent PNG:

professional-branding-1.jpg

Let us know if you have questions.

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    clap.gif

Baldy, Andy, Sorcerers... Thanks for all your hard work lately! Not only am I seeing a lot of new features rolling out that I like, but my SEO has been steadily improving without much work from me. thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    edited October 27, 2009
    Ok, so when I click "browse" and select an image... there's no "use this image" button like in the tutorial page. Am I missing something, or is this a bug?
    edited October 27, 2009
    Well, I just clicked "save" and it uploaded the image. But I'm assuming the "use this image" button is supposed to come up... just something to check out I guess.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Well, I just clicked "save" and it uploaded the image. But I'm assuming the "use this image" button is supposed to come up... just something to check out I guess.
    Help page needs to be updated, sorry! "Save" is your friend.
  • brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Excellent. I set mine up yesterday after seeing this post.

I am a little surprised that I saw it here first. Really, for something like this I would expect to get an email (the email address I used to sign up for SmugMugPro announcements)

Regardless, It looks good, and it was a welcome addition to the shopping cart.
    Baldy wrote:
    This afternoon we shipped a feature that represents the first step of extending your brand through the shopping experience. In the pro tab of your control panel you'll find a pro branding center (with just one option so far) that will show you how to modify every page of the shopping cart to look something like:

Let us know if you have questions.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Help page needs to be updated, sorry! "Save" is your friend.

The names of the buttons are confusing. I mean, it was only a few extra clicks when i chose done instead of save... but to me, it seems like you need a button to start the upload, and a cancel button. And possibly even a save button too, in case you want the option of canceling after the upload.

But I'm really writing to report i had no luck in firefox. No prob in IE. Firefox just stopped at "uploading and processing" and wouldn't ever finish.

Dave
    edited October 27, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:
    But I'm really writing to report i had no luck in firefox. No prob in IE. Firefox just stopped at "uploading and processing" and wouldn't ever finish.

Dave

I uploaded my PNG with Firefox. I had no problems.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I changed to another image, it uploaded the new one. But there is no way to
    select or add the url from an existing/previous upload. In other words switch
    to previous image without uploading it again, this adds multiples in the gallery.

What shows if photos from multiple sites are in the cart?

EDit: Aha, no image is shown if multiple site photos in cart. Remove the other site
    photo from cart and the image then shows of the remaining site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited October 27, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:
    Excellent. I set mine up yesterday after seeing this post.

I am a little surprised that I saw it here first. Really, for something like this I would expect to get an email (the email address I used to sign up for SmugMugPro announcements)

Regardless, It looks good, and it was a welcome addition to the shopping cart.
    We don't email but we do put everything in release notes. You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.

Thanks!
  • action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    This is cool and I just updated my account. What would be nice now is to get branding on our picture orders. In fact this is what I first thought this was when I read it quick and I was jumping for joy. I'd like to see the envelope with the pictures that customers order come in with our choice of logo or thank you message printed on it. I don't care if "Smugmug" is on there also, but I'd love to have my logo and business name on the delivery. Are you working towards this?
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks! Easy from my end--I like "easy". :ivar
    edited October 27, 2009
    Are you working towards this?
    nod.gifnod.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We don't email but we do put everything in release notes. You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.

Thanks!

Yes, I've got the release notes in my iGoogle page, so I check it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

It just so happened that I saw the DGrin thread before I saw the release notes.

Regardless, I would still think an email would be appropriate.

Back to the issue at hand: I will continue to check the release notes EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. while I wait for coupons.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    What shows if photos from multiple sites are in the cart?

EDit: Aha, no image is shown if multiple site photos in cart. Remove the other site photo from cart and the image then shows of the remaining site.
    We struggled with this issue for awhile because we sometimes see carts with a dozen different landscapes from many pros. Having twelve prominent pro logos of the size we're providing wouldn't seem to serve anyone well.

We got comfortable with this solution because the vast majority of carts are single-pro, and in most instances where multiple pros are present, the customer was browsing not for photos from a specific pro, but for photos of grizzly bears.

Make sense?
  • Pa. PatriotPa. Patriot Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

Make sense?

Perfect sense :) And the feature seems to work quite nicely! Now I need to do the feature some justice by investing some time to make a better logo to replace the "thing" I threw together the last 5 mins of my lunch break. ;)

While I am at it, kudos to the SM team --- I am new to SM, but I have read through many, many threads her on DG I have to say it is very obvious you all work very hard at continually making SM "the place to be". Even a newbie like me picks up on that dedication. thumb.gif Thanks.
    edited October 27, 2009
    Even a newbie like me picks up on that dedication. thumb.gif Thanks.
    Thanks! bowdown.gif
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Very nice addition.

Thank you very much.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Just set mine up. I like it! Is there a way to remove the Smugmug bar at the top of the page, though? A white label option, if you will.
    edited October 27, 2009
    Just set mine up. I like it! Is there a way to remove the Smugmug bar at the top of the page, though? A white label option, if you will.
    No, not yet. Remember, we're in this together, you and us. We're handling the transaction, the security of the credit card info and more. Perhaps one day we'll have such a shared security arrangement - but at the moment, we're in this together thumb.gif
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No, not yet. Remember, we're in this together, you and us. We're handling the transaction, the security of the credit card info and more. Perhaps one day we'll have such a shared security arrangement - but at the moment, we're in this together thumb.gif

I still want you in the mix, I just prefer my customers not see another companies branding on my website. Rock on, and thanks for the progress you've made thus far.
  • dfederighidfederighi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2009
    Hey Dave,

This is Dale and I'm the developer working on Pro Branding. We have wrestled with the button labels and number of buttons used to accomplish the save/upload functionality in that page.

First off, are you still having problems in Firefox? Is it Firefox 2 or 3 on Windows? I tested Firefox on a Mac this morning (live on smugmug.com) and it was ok. Can you try it again?

Secondly, we will likely make slight tweaks to the buttons and their labels for future versions of the Pro Branding tool/page. One idea was to change 'Save' to 'Upload'. Another idea is to automatically redirect the Pro to the Control Panel after their Upload is finished. Keep checking back and let us know of any ideas you have.

Thanks,
    ~daleF

Dale Federighi
    Smugmug Sorcerer
    pilotdave wrote:
    The names of the buttons are confusing. I mean, it was only a few extra clicks when i chose done instead of save... but to me, it seems like you need a button to start the upload, and a cancel button. And possibly even a save button too, in case you want the option of canceling after the upload.

Dave
    edited October 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Strawman much? C'mon, no one said anything about handling transactions, security, etc. sans smugmug. We would just like a seamless experience for our customers from start to completion of their order. On my site customers see nothing but my branding throughout my site, until they get to the checkout and all of a sudden there's a logo that says "Smugmug" with no explanation as to what it means, and a navbar that doesn't match anything else on my site, that if they clicked on it would take them away from my site all together. Surely you can understand why this isn't ideal. It has nothing to do with wanting to "do everything on our own".
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gifnod.gif

Hang on, if I'm not very much mistaken you just commented on an upcoming feature!!! :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers - N :)
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
    edited November 15, 2009
    I was also concerned with the two brands on the page mine and smugmug.
    I understand we are in it together, but the customer might be confused by this.
    wow, we don't feel that way at all, I'm sorry you do :(
    My advice: put your brand there and let your customers see your studio name.

The "enabled" thing in cp will be dealt with.
    edited November 15, 2009
    When I order a car from Toyota, I don't expect to see a Ford brand on the sales agreement.

ne_nau.gifhttp://www.currytoyota.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

20091115-nkxi239ctik6jp5tcuresk6qss.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    I just did my brand in the cart and it looks great! Thanks, SmugMug!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com