model shoot - work safe ??

luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited July 15, 2005 in People
Hi folks. Believe it or not this was my first person shoot. Yeah I lucked out big time. I just wanted to get opinions on the shots. All I had was my Olympus C730, a step ladder and a reflector (which I didn't use). Any advice or comments would be appreciated. The guy who owned the car was wrapped with the shots but I want an unbiased opinion (aka a photographer's point of view).

26640639-M.jpg

26640638-M.jpg

26640641-M.jpg

26640635-M.jpg

26640648-M.jpg
http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 11, 2005
    damn !!! u are a luckydog icon10.gif

I really like the series, you have done a great job. I'm no expert, but in some of the photos (especially the headshots), the model has some heavy shadowing on her face. Perhaps the use of a reflector would have reduced some of this.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    I borrowed a reflector but the only other person at the shoot (apart from the ocassional sticky beak) was the car owner and I just couldn't get him to bounce the light up into the right areas so I gave up.

40D
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    luckydog wrote:
    Hi folks. Believe it or this was my first person shoot. Yeah I lucked out big time. I just wanted to get opinions on the shots. All I had was my Olympus C730, a step ladder and a reflector (which I didn't use). Any advice or comments would be appreciated. The guy who owned the car was wrapped with the shots but I want an unbiased opinion (aka a photographer's point of view).
    OK looking at the light, and at the length of the shadows, the pics were taken with the SUN stillhigh in the sky hence a very harsh light. A reflector would indeed have helped, but it is hard to get this 'hard' of light to behave. If you would use a reflector, go fo gold.

Nice model and some great poses.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Neat WRX. . . . :):

Good model shots too, especially for a first try. As the others have said, the light is a little hard. Slightly cloudy day would have been nice but impossible to plan.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited July 11, 2005
    The shoot actually started at 4pm! Even then they turned up an hour late. The location was surrounded by water on 3 sides so maybe that effected the light with the sun reflecting off the water???

40D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 15, 2005
    hey. i really like the shots and the model is beautiful. but besides the shadows, in every picture her pretty face is all squinched because of the sunlight. i know this sounds lame and childish but i do this with my people get ready, count to three, and say open! and take the photo. that way their eyes are nice and open and you dont catch shots of them squinting or blinking.

but yea, good shots
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    #2 is my #1!
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Heya lucky,

I agree with everything the previous posters told you, but I have something to add to it.. The pose, while being a good one the first time I saw it, was getting kinda boring to me when I saw the 3rd picture where she had the same pose.. I suspect you have more shots though :D

On second thought, my biggest gripe, with all the poses, is the lack of interaction between both models... The woman and the car are 2 separate entities in your pictures I would have liked them to become one, if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are nice, but I'm seeing 2 compositions, sort of, one with a beautiful woman and one with a fast car and they don't really get the magic going together...

Do you have any pictures with the model sitting on the car, or inside the car? Hanging out of the window? She looks kinda light, so you can easily open the window and have her sit in the window with her legs inside the car I think...

Just some minor musings by me :D Hope I didn't offend,
    thanks for sharing
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks heaps everyone. It was not only a first for me but also for the model. She was just a friend of the car owner's who said whe'd give it a go. It took me ages just to get her to relax and smile especially when there were fishermen going by in their boats shouting "show us ya boobs!!" So she was a bit nervous. As for other angles and poses, I did get a few but the guy who owned the car was obsessive about the darn thing and every time I went to try something he freaked out. I'll upload a couple more including inside the car for you all.
    P.S. She wasn't too silly...I tried to get her leaning under the hood looking at the engine bay and the first thing she said was "You just want to get some clevage shots!"..mwink.gifthumb.gif

40D