Options

Bangkok Street

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
bangkok_3rdkind.jpg

Okay, too weird? I am often trying to perfect slow shutter techniques, sometimes combined with 1st or 2nd curtain flash, in my street work. Did I go completely round the bend here? ;-))

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    seastack wrote:
    Okay, too weird? I am often trying to perfect slow shutter techniques, sometimes combined with 1st or 2nd curtain flash, in my street work. Did I go completely round the bend here? ;-))
    I think it makes an interesting abstract, seastack. It's a bit on the edge of street but it does make me think about what's happening in the shot. If it were purely abstract I don't think I'd have that sensation.
    Travis
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I like it looks like fiction, i wonder what if the face was little more visible i mean high shutter speed.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    Is what you got exactly what you were hoping for? I like the colors a lot, but there is really very little that's recognizable here. Maybe that doesn't matter to everyone, but it looks more like an experiment to me, ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    im always happy to see people experimenting with different techniques and styles.
    for me, you are close, but not quite there yet, i think i do know what you are going for
    and i think the shutter speed was too long, a bit more definition would lift this image significantly imo.
    but i DO like this, there IS something there that i absolutely like.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Plus for experimenting.. I have tried rear curtain flash for motorsports, unsuccessfully so far.

I'm thinking if you want definition one has to use rear curtain if they're coming at you, front curtain if they're leaving you.

the front or rear choice can determine if the blur is in front/behind of the defined figure

I would love to hear if I'm going in the right direction as well as the OP.

The hardest thing for me, is NOT to pan, but to let the subject roll thru my frame
    Rags
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    seastack wrote:
    bangkok_3rdkind.jpg

Much, much too weird. Bunch of color blobs. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Ok, this happens to me sometimes. I was there. I felt something. I was amused in the fact that an image appeared. I invested myself in processing it. But will it mean anything to anyone else?

In this case, no.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Much, much too weird. Bunch of color blobs. rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhh... You're just saying that because it's not in B&W.... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    torags wrote:
    I think he was hoping for selective coloring.... thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    torags wrote:

yeah..I think B&W blobs would work much better for this shot.eek7.gif

I do think the image works though..3/4 of the time I open up a shot and close it 2 seconds later. This one kept me engaged for maybe 7 sec hehe. Not exactly sure why ..overall color and such drew me in.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks for all the input! :)) I wondered what people would say!

Yeah, to me it's an intriguing partial accident - long shutter and flash with a person actually stopping and then walking around me. I did get some nice shots (at least to me) using this technique in the Bangkok street melee, sometime literally in traffic in Chinatown, but nothing this far out.