Options

First e-shoot outta nowhere

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Weddings
Oy. While I'm happy to do this on Thursday as a gift for some friends (offered some time ago), I sure wish they'd given me a little more notice! I can't even suggest an alternative date since I go out of town on a gig at the end of the week and by the time I get back it will be grey and yukky ... In any case, the location is pretty (a college campus with nice buildings and lots of trees), BUT their schedule dictates 1pm, despite my suggestion/request for later in the day. I'd love to push for a different day/time, but knowing their schedules and mine, it's just not going to be possible. SOooo... I have to make it work.

It's supposed to be nice on Thursday and the leaves are in full swing here. Presumably I should try to get them in some shade with as much light on leaves as possible? I won't have an assistant so will have to manhandle reflectors etc myself.

As I type this, I realise I DO (probably. possibly.) have enough technical knowledge to do this (I think :huh?!) but just want some handholding. And reminders on how to get couples to interact and look cute!

Ta ever so, folks...

Comments

• Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Yes, find some nice shade! With buildings around, that will be much easier. Also, watch out for the green cast that leaves can give faces...you might like shade by buildings better. Use the sun as a backlight...avoid direct sunlight-in-the-face.

And as for interacting etc....I always try to ask them to tell me about how they met, where was their first date, how did they get engaged...it usually gets their minds somewhat off a camera in their face and helps them to relax. It's also nice to try something that will loosen them up--like running holding hands (sounds silly, but it's hard not to laugh when you're trying to run holding someone's hand!). After that, they may forget about being nervous.

Have fun!

(edit: of course, if they're friends, you won't need to ask all those questions...and maybe they'll be pretty comfortable with you!)
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    What is the location? Depending on the time I could come and help, you can just tell them I'm your assistant and I will act like one! I'd be happy to help you out even if it is just fielding questions, PM me. Just re-read your post, it wouldn't happen to be the "Evergreen" campus would it? I figure it is that one or the one south of there. I could help out at 1 but I'd have baby girl in tow. BTW 1 o'clock this time of year isn't so bad. I shot a killer engagement sitting at UMBC at 10am on Saturday.I think you should approach it like portraits, if you are using flash find shade, if you are going for in the moment just watch your background. Push the FEC if you are backlit, shoot raw, don't forget to jump up into HSS if it is really bright. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    What is the location? Depending on the time I could come and help, you can just tell them I'm your assistant and I will act like one! I'd be happy to help you out even if it is just fielding questions, PM me.

Wow... That is super nice! I would definately take him up on that one, Diva... (I'm jealous, though!)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Wow... That is super nice! I would definately take him up on that one, Diva... (I'm jealous, though!)
    Color me envious though!

What...no kids...Jason has one to bring...they can watch her play and get giggly themselves!thumb.gif

Some couples are just naturally INTO-it and some are akin to cardboard, I usually try to send encouraging e-mails....talk in person to help me figure them out...But most of what I've noticed is, it depends on me, my mood and my playfulness.

Make sure you post those photos, after you get back into town~thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    You guys are seriously, SERIOUSLY good to me - thank you so, so much iloveyou.gif Just knowing I can come in here and blether helps (and gets rid of some of the "EEEK!!"). It's so funny - I made this offer to them when they got engaged back in JULY when I had loads of time on my hands, but hadn't heard a squeak out of them until now. My guess is they need announcement pictures or something.... :D Just once this year I'd like to do a shoot where I have more than 48hrs to think about it.... rolleyes1.gif

@mishka - thanks for those ideas - that's exactly the kind of stuff I need. They're friends, but not *close* friends (in fact they're singers that I"ve worked with over the years rather than strictly speaking social friends) and while they're both good performers onstage, they're quite reserved and somewhat formal as themselves, so I think it'll take a bit of coaxing to get them to relax despite knowing them! I know nothing of their backstory as a couple, so that will be fun to use.

@blurmore - I'm not sure I'm prepared to drag you and the infant out on my account (and I think I'd be scared to death - you're like seriously the A team and I'm still fumbling my n00by way around!) but you will definitely have pm later (probably much later since I still have a kid to drop off, dinner to cook and a performance tonight)! Yes, it is at CND - I went up there today around lunchtime to check it out and it is SO beautiful... loads of possibilities. Lots of visual ideas... now just have to figure out how to implement them! In any case, watch for messages from me!

Next up, I need to go pick up a lightstand so I can use the big umbrella if I need OCF (I'm pretty much assuming I will). I normally use my monopod or tripod, but the dude is like 6'3" or so, and it won't be tall enough.

Come to think of it: anybody have examples of shots with tall guy, tiny gal? There's that cute shot of Jeffreaux's, but anybody else? Or Autumn e-shoot shots they like for that matter?

Thanks again everybody - you guys are all DA BOMB.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Come to think of it: anybody have examples of shots with tall guy, tiny gal? There's that cute shot of Jeffreaux's, but anybody else? Or Autumn e-shoot shots they like for that matter?

Don't have an examples I can point to, but some friends of mine (he's around 6'7" and she's 4'10" if she's lucky) their wedding and engagement shots included a couple of poses that worked well in spite of the difference:

1. if he can do it, have him pick her up, litterally sweep her off her feet. The long train of her dress can compliment his long legs in the final print, or you can crop just below her bum into a decent square format. That works especially well if she's feeling cuddly and snuggles in against his shoulder/chest.

2. sit him in a chair or on the ground if needed and have her stand behind/above... various posing/interaction options from there, one of my favorites is her chin on his head, her hands clasped over his over his heart. In the case I'm thinking of, they both had their eyes closed, sharing a brief nap. Supposedly that was a candid moment snapped while their photog was adjusting lights or something. The other great interaction in that set, and it's the one their photog was actually trying to setup, was with her head over his shoulder, cheek to cheek. You're only going for a 1/4 shot with this one, so everything below his chest is out of frame... that allows you all kinds of liberties with how you correct for the height differences.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    You guys are seriously, SERIOUSLY good to me - thank you so, so much iloveyou.gif Just knowing I can co

NOT my favorite Eshoot by a mile, but fits the tall guy/short girl bill.

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/shilpaaaron/engagement
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Divamum,

I just finished my first e-shoot. I was in a similar situation with an extremely short girl and very tall/large guy.

I know these pictures aren't amazing but I am proud of them for a first shot and there may be a small chance they could help you learn what to do or what not to do???ne_nau.gif

Either way, Good Luck To You!! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

http://www.bsimonstudio.com/Events/Jared-And-Becky-Engaged/10105249_TGrLe#693968635_QdBgk
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Just keep reminding them to interact with each other and forget the camera. It will be simple enough to get them to look your way when you want them to.

....and....

Keep in mind your primary goal. They will want an E shot for a newspaper announcement. THAT is really your only goal. These are typically a head and shoulder or 1/2 length shot in an 4x5 ratio. Nice and close....as it will be printed small in most newspapers. Get several keepers of this type before you move on to the more artsy and environmental stuff.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I can't really add anything to the advice you've already received, but I just gotta say this .... You know you're on a slippery slope here don't you? mwink.gif And, that's all I have to say about that.

Oh, and I would seriously take up blurmore on his offer - like right now!

P.S. - You had to know that I would pipe up with something here, didn't you?
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Just remember, a shoot-through also works with the sun :D

Also get a parrot that says "Give us a kiss, give us a kiss!"
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thanks again everybody - some great posing suggestions, which I really appreciate. I'm actually looking forward to doing this, although I swear that half the leaves in town fell off the trees overnight, meaning it probably won't be as pretty by tomorrow as it was yesterday. Ah well - time to use background blur to my advantage....

@Jeff- THANK you! One of the things I've been trying to find out is what the protocol/standard is for a newspaper shot, and you've just answered it for me... :D

@Urbanaries - I'm smiling... you say, "Not my favorite shoot" and I'm looking at every picture going "Oohhh.... ahhhh.... wow...." - if I can take pictures even 1% that good I'd be ecstatic :D

@bismon - you got some beautiful shots! I love the ones in the yellow leaves on the log. And it's very helpful to see these, since they're a similar height/size difference to the couple I'll be shooting, and the guy's manner even looks to be similar. Very useful - thanks!

@Pyry - ~facepalm~ DUH! I had totally forgotten that, and it's the obvious solution if I have it on a lightstand. Tx for the reminder! thumb.gif

@ Scott - I was just waiting to see how long it would take you to post ... :Drolleyes1.gif

After all this and flurry off emails I haven't had final confirmation from them and I swear I'm going to throttle them if they ditz around on scheduling - not only am I all fired up to do this for better or worse, but I rescheduled some other appointments to clear my afternoon..... rolleyes1.gif Here's hoping!

Thanks again, guys iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    @Pyry - ~facepalm~ DUH! I had totally forgotten that, and it's the obvious solution if I have it on a lightstand. Tx for the reminder! thumb.gif

A lightstand or a voice activated operator. "Here, let's soften that glare a little."
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    After all this and flurry off emails I haven't had final confirmation from them and I swear I'm going to throttle them if they ditz around on scheduling ...

Good luck, Diva! Hope they don't flake out on you!