Options

Help me spend 2K-- to get a camera for my day job

2»

Comments

• Options
    HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    As far as your co-workers ability or inability to use a DSLR setup, there's always AUTO mode and PROGRAM modes. mwink.gif

Heather
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thanks, friends
    Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. Jane thanks for doing the math, and Ziggy I'm glad you survived to tell the tale-- brutal, brutal weekend! Candid, any suggestions as to where to snag this low priced 5D? It would be knock-my-sox off-amazing if I could find a 5D, at a low low price-- I've been looking and haven't found any near that low without crazy high mileage or questionable sources. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying I haven't been able to do it as of yet.

I think I'd like the 50D w/ the 35mm 2.0 and a speed light and other accessories. Does anyone know what the difference between the 430 and 580 speedlight? The 50D is a whole lot better than the p&s with the combo 4x6 printer and charging stand, that's fo sho! And if the 35mm quality is similar to the quality of 50mm I will be thrilled, seriously.

--Lisa

PS: As to the size of groups-- it might occasionally be a dozen people, but for the most part it's small groups like 3-5. With my 50mm on 50D I'd have to be like 15 feet away from them, lol.
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    The 580 EX II has more reach than the 430 EX II and I believe the 580 can serve as a flash master or slave, while the 430 cannot be a master. The 580 also rotates further.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    The 580 EX II has more reach than the 430 EX II and I believe the 580 can serve as a flash master or slave, while the 430 cannot be a master. The 580 also rotates further.

I have a pair of 430 EX II and a 580 EX II. The 580ex II is a bigger unit, puts out more light and serves as a slave for triggering other canon slave flashes optically. The 580 ex II also has a better seal between the camera and flash. But to me, the differences are simple. When I"m not shooting off camera flash with my MiniTT1/FlexTT5's, then I'm usng the 580 ex II because it has an on board bounce card built in. Yeah, I know it's the most cheesy thing, but it's why I shoot with it on camera.

As for what camera to buy, I'd stick with a 50d. You are familure with it and it's a great camera (I have one.). If you need something cheaper, I would drop do to a 30d - which you should be able to pick up used under $500. Adorama had a refurbished 50d body for $999. I think the kit lens, the 28-135 would be a great lens to use, they are cheap and pretty decent. I've graduated from mine, but it's still a great all purpose zoom. And you can pick them up used for little of nothing, or in a kit.

If you work for a non-profit, I'd also suggest buying local. Big box stores, like Best Buy, may be willing to donate some free accessories if you buy the camera from them. But I'd also let them know that while you are trying to support local buisness, but are aware of prices else where.

Personally, I'd check out the Sigma flash, it soulds great! But, the 430 EX II is a great flash and is $150 less than a 580 ex II. As for lenses, I like the idea of the f/2.8 Tamerons. a 50d with kit lens $1300, flash $200, memory cards $100, f/2.8 lens $400.

Do you need a tripod?
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8