Great Shot

Take Care,
    Charles

Thanks for looking Charles
    Randy
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Fantabulous image! clap.gif
    Care to share your post work and cam settings on this one?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Fantabulous image! clap.gif
    Care to share your post work and cam settings on this one?

Thanks D'Buggs

Camera: 5D2 ~ 85 1.2L ~ ISO3200 ~ 1/200 ~ f/1.6

Post: LR2 ~ I started off using a preset that I've made, which basically pulls all the saturation out, pumps up the blacks enough that the image is about 80% black, ups the recovery slider & fill light. Then, I'll push the exposure way up to get the image close to a normal exposure. What this basically does is the blacks are so dark that I have to push the exposure at least a couple stops. Couple this with a high ISO in camera and you'll get noise/grain. I then send to CS2 and run NoiseNinja to tame some of that "crisp" noise so that it looks more like grain.

That's not exact, but pretty close.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks, Randy.

I sensed a high ISO.... Likey how you brought it around and *beat* it into submission. rolleyes1.gif
    Very creative - Thanks!
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Looks good. I use this fill light/recovery/black adjustment method frequently. The only thing you gotta be careful of, is edges. The top edge of the guy's hat has the weird line on it that you get with too much fill light. So That's about my only nit. Other wise good. It was almost the first thing I noticed though after the noise (which is helpful for this image).
    edited October 27, 2009
    Looks good. I use this fill light/recovery/black adjustment method frequently. The only thing you gotta be careful of, is edges. The top edge of the guy's hat has the weird line on it that you get with too much fill light. So That's about my only nit. Other wise good. It was almost the first thing I noticed though after the noise (which is helpful for this image).

If your gonna' push an image this extreme, you have to expect some undesirable effects also. I don't really worry about em' since I'm taking a perfectly good image and ruffing it up so much anyway. If it's too bad, then I'll process it differently. YMMV

Thanks for your detailed input and it's well noted!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Randy :D

I like how you have the eye so sharp and can see the shine in it.

Since I don't use LR can you give me any suggestions to get this look in CS3? The blacks is what I'm looking for as I have problems with that.
    edited October 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Randy :D

I like how you have the eye so sharp and can see the shine in it.

Since I don't use LR can you give me any suggestions to get this look in CS3? The blacks is what I'm looking for as I have problems with that.

Hey Mary,

I can't really say how to do this in CS3, I've been using LR2 for most all my processing this last year. But, try this:

Take your image & desaturate it however you prefer. Then, pull way back on the contrast. You'll have a very washed-out looking image. Now, pull the blacks up separately either with levels or curves, whichever you prefer. You'll see that this gives you a crisper B&W with more seperation between the black and white, than just adjusting the contrast alone. At least it does for me YMMV
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Nice picture, and thanks for the tutorial here. I'm playing with it and trying to understand how it works.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site