Options

Green Heron:in habitat w bokeh

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 14, 2005 in Wildlife
28043681-L.jpg

by ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Nice shot Ginger. What gear were you using (lens at least)?

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Thanks, Birdman, I was using my 20D with the 300 prime lens and a 1.4 tele extender.

That lens has good bokeh, and the bird was fairly close.

Not in my backyard, but close to where I went, rolleyes1.gif .

I am seeing quite a few of those green herons, suddenly, so I could kind of pick the pose. I would shoot, he would spook, we would run into each other again, I would shoot some more. One of us would get bored, or spook.

They are colorful little things, but they blend into the environment well. It is a good thing that lens does have bokeh. I haven't been able to get one in flight.

Oh, I picked that one because I like the distorted large foot. It gave me more detail than I would ordinarily have gotten. I don't know that everyone would want a distorted look, but I liked it. In fact, it took me quite awhile to find it again.

Thanks for commenting.

ginger
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Nice G thumb.gif
    even looks like a dragon fly in the background :D
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Very nice...
    ...photo, Ginger! thumb.gif

Now I know what their front side looks like.

22248243-M.jpg

One I took a few weeks back.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Good one Ginger. The green herons are hard to shoot because they are so shy. I like the pose you captured him in.

The background seems to be a tad noisy. You might try applying noise reduction to the background only.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Good one Ginger. The green herons are hard to shoot because they are so shy. I like the pose you captured him in.

The background seems to be a tad noisy. You might try applying noise reduction to the background only.

Thanks, Harry, I have that pose with the feet unextended, too. I don't know which would be better. This is the only one I worked up. There were more than one that evening. Because I would be photographing one and another would fly.

I have Noise Ninja, how do I selectively do the noise. Do I do it on the whole photograph in Noise Ninja and then use the brush to deselect the things I don't want the noise reduction on?

I only have it on the desktop, but it works fine. I don't use it often enough to know all the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

thanks again for stopping and commenting. I would really like to know how to selectively use the Noise Ninja. I have used that brush on eyes and things, is that how you mean to do it?

ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    This is a very nice shot, Ginger. I love the bokeh. Nice and smooth with that lens. Way to go!thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Thanks, Snappy!

I really do like that shot, too.

Thanks, Ric, also.

ginger