Options

WB on the DRebel

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited June 1, 2004 in Cameras
Maybe the comment should be, "What auto white balance?" I know that some here have said the WB issues were forcing them into shooting raw and balancing each.

IMG_3044_s.JPG
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 1, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Maybe the comment should be, "What auto white balance?" I know that some here have said the WB issues were forcing them into shooting raw and balancing each.

IMG_3044_s.JPG
    WIth the 10D I find using the tungsten indoors may be better than AWB. Certainly outdoors I prefer cloudy over AWB for sunlit snow scenery. But that is probably why Canon includes the multiple white balance settings tungsten, sunny, cloudy, shade etc in addition to AWB - maybe?

Did this image look overly yellow in the LCD display at the time of shooting? Or did you not notice the color balance until you returned home to your desktop? If you shoot RAW of course the problem goes away - but you cannot shoot RAW in the Green zones, only in the Creative zones.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    WIth the 10D I find using the tungsten indoors may be better than AWB. Certainly outdoors I prefer cloudy over AWB for sunlit snow scenery. But that is probably why Canon includes the multiple white balance settings tungsten, sunny, cloudy, shade etc in addition to AWB - maybe?

AWB on the DRebel sucks, no doubt about it. Considering it was near perfect on my old Olympus I was kind of surprised by that. It works fine with natural light (where it doesn't have to do anything :-) but it's bad with flash and worse with tungsten.

I haven't been pleased with most of the manual WB modes either. I quickly switched to doing correction within the File Browser.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

i shoot only in raw, leaving the wb to me to decide in post. if you must shoot in jpg, then you should pick the wb, not let the camera do it. just my opinion....

aw
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i shoot only in raw, leaving the wb to me to decide in post. if you must shoot in jpg, then you should pick the wb, not let the camera do it. just my opinion....
    So far I have only used the JPEG settings with my D70 and this rings true. Initially I was using AWB and saw some pretty bizzare results. I quickly started choosing my own WB settings and have been mostly pleased.
    Tim
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    dRebel and WB
    So far I have only used the JPEG settings with my D70 and this rings true. Initially I was using AWB and saw some pretty bizzare results. I quickly started choosing my own WB settings and have been mostly pleased.
    I'm one of those that shot in RAW to get around the WB issue. But I'm trying to get the camera to get the shot correct in the first place, so that I have little processing to afterwards. Hey, I had to do that with film, right? ;)

So I'm going to start forcing the WB myself. Plus I've just bought an 18% grey card so that I can get a correct WB setting and use custom WB. My only question is, can I use a grey card? The manual talks about a white card, and my camera shop (surprisingly) didn't know either.

-- Bill
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 1, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm one of those that shot in RAW to get around the WB issue. But I'm trying to get the camera to get the shot correct in the first place, so that I have little processing to afterwards. Hey, I had to do that with film, right? ;)

So I'm going to start forcing the WB myself. Plus I've just bought an 18% grey card so that I can get a correct WB setting and use custom WB. My only question is, can I use a grey card? The manual talks about a white card, and my camera shop (surprisingly) didn't know either.

-- Bill
    In the back of Scott Kelby's book Adobe Photshop CS for Digital Photographers or his previous version for PS7, there is a three color - white, grey, black - card that is very suitable for including near the frame of a critical image for color balance or for studio work. It would also work well for setting up a custom profile for your camera.

You might already own this book. If not, you probably should. It is that good, unless you are already a PS guru!lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    WB on dRebel
    I took several shots in various white balance modes. 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 IV lens at f/8, 35mm, Av mode, large fine JPG, parameter 1.

Shots were done at AWB, sunny, shade, cloudy, and custom based on a shooting of an 18% grey card. In this particular shot, AWB did well, as did sunny and custom. The mulch is off-color in shade and cloudy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bill.jurasz/WB/WB.html
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu