Any idea how to create this effect? Kobe vs Garnett

houstonphoto85houstonphoto85 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 1, 2009 in Technique
Team,

I'm a sports and photography nut and I love to know how to create this effect or come close.

Anyone have any ideas how it was created.

A tutorial would be nice.

Comments

• sgbotsfordsgbotsford Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Team,

I'm a sports and photography nut and I love to know how to create this effect or come close.

Anyone have any ideas how it was created.

A tutorial would be nice.

I'm not sure which effect you are talking about. Any image has dozens of classes of differences from reality. Each one can be called an effect.

What I noticed was the bright highlights on the sweaty skin, and parts of the jersey,
    and the inky shadows in the muscle modeling, and the yellow tint on some of the sub-highlights.

If this is a typical gym, it's lit by mercury arc lights. Cheap lighting, but tough to
    shoot under. Preliminary shots sometimes come out like they were shot using a 7-up bottle as a filter. Usually you can't fix it perfectly without taking a couple of
    forevers.

In this case the shooter left in/created a trace of yellow cast in the balance. Or
    maybe that gym has mixed lighting.

Anyway, try applying a light yellow cast filter to the image. This will make ALL
    of the highlights slightly yellow.

Now play with the brightness/contrast. This will increase the size of the sweat
    highlights, and wash out most of the yellow tint. It will also deepen the shadows.

Use the brightness to bring the midtones back into range.

In photoshop, do this as adjustment layers. If you are using some other program, work on a copy.