Christie's auction house

PedroPedro Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Pedro wrote:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a "street photo!" clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    It has humor; it has a real 'what the f#*K?!' quality to it; it reeks of ambiguity. I love it!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is a "street photo!" clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    It has humor; it has a real 'what the f#*K?!' quality to it; it reeks of ambiguity. I love it!clap.gifclap.gif

Oh, is "what the f#*K?!" part of the formula for street photography - I missed that memo - what page was it on?rolleyes1.gif

I like this image a lot.
    I like it's directness, sitting right in front of you. And yes, with a couple of little twists and turns.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Oh, is "what the f#*K?!" part of the formula for street photography - I missed that memo - what page was it on?rolleyes1.gif

I like this image a lot.
    I like it's directness, sitting right in front of you. And yes, with a couple of little twists and turns.

Yes, the "what the f#*K?!" is definitely part of the formula. Look at Winnegrand's best known images; look at Friedlander's. You'll find images that startle, that leave you scratching your head. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Fantastic shot, Pedro. I don't mean to be offensive but is this shot posed? The magazine placement looks less than coincidental. Either way it's a most excellent shot. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Fantastic shot, Pedro. I don't mean to be offensive but is this shot posed? The magazine placement looks less than coincidental. Either way it's a most excellent shot. thumb.gif

I also thought it looked posed.
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thanks for your comments.

The photo is not posed - I found her on the street exactly as pictured. I guess that she confused Christ with Christie's (or at list she thought that people would make that mistake and increase donations).

I also find interesting that she (sort of) resembles - facial expression and clothing - the Madonna in the magazine cover.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Great picture…

…but it seems to me that the representation of the Christ Child is sort of nekkid eek7.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Pedro wrote:
    Thanks for your comments.

The photo is not posed - I found her on the street exactly as pictured. I guess that she confused Christ with Christie's (or at list she thought that people would make that mistake and increase donations).

I also find interesting that she (sort of) resembles - facial expression and clothing - the Madonna in the magazine cover.
    Some things appear far too convenient for their own good. Thanks for the clarification! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    Pedro wrote:
    I guess that she confused Christ with Christie's (or at list she thought that people would make that mistake and increase donations).

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking. It makes the pic even more interesting, IMO. Very nice capture. clap.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this image! I think I'm beginning to see the light!!!!! :ivar
    Also want to add that even without the 'what the f#*K?!' quality, it is a beautiful image!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Great image. I wonder if a more careful treatment which didn't plug the shadows would work better? This image is worth sweating over in post.
    If not now, when?