Options

At The Metropolitan Museum of Art

JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Street and Documentary
(I put these in this section because they’re candids. If they belong elsewhere, no problem.)

I started going to the Met about two years ago and quickly decided to start a long term photo project there. After researching the photography rules and the Museum’s intent with regards to photography, I began shooting the artwork for the purpose of learning about the art. Once I have a photo of a work of art in my computer, I research the art, post-process the photo, and make a print for a notebook where I can keep the info about the artist etc. I’ve got four notebooks so far and still going. This project is just one part of a larger effort to increase my knowledge and appreciation of art. Having basically ignored art appreciation for most of my life, I’ve got a long way to go.

This museum averages roughly 16,000 visitors per day, although you’d never know it. The place is well designed to handle large crowds, especially compared to The Museum of Modern Art, which feels very crowded when it’s busy.

I’m posting these to share, although I’m always interested in any and all critiques and comments. My intent with these photos is simply to photograph a place I love, showing the art and also the people enjoying the museum.

Jim

1. The Greek Sculpture Court
694869656_QnVuc-L.jpg

2. Greek Sculpture Court
694869668_eho8f-L.jpg

3. This is a statue of Orpheus, famous for taming beasts with his music. He is playing his lira da braccio. Location is the patio from the Castle of Velez Blanco.
694869680_UR38v-L.jpg

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Nice images, but #2 is really a great composition IMO. Love how the lion sculpture and the boy mirror each other's relationship to the crowd.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    JimW wrote:
    (I put these in this section because they’re candids. If they belong elsewhere, no problem.)

I started going to the Met about two years ago and quickly decided to start a long term photo project there. After researching the photography rules and the Museum’s intent with regards to photography, I began shooting the artwork for the purpose of learning about the art. Once I have a photo of a work of art in my computer, I research the art, post-process the photo, and make a print for a notebook where I can keep the info about the artist etc. I’ve got four notebooks so far and still going. This project is just one part of a larger effort to increase my knowledge and appreciation of art. Having basically ignored art appreciation for most of my life, I’ve got a long way to go.

This museum averages roughly 16,000 visitors per day, although you’d never know it. The place is well designed to handle large crowds, especially compared to The Museum of Modern Art, which feels very crowded when it’s busy.

I’m posting these to share, although I’m always interested in any and all critiques and comments. My intent with these photos is simply to photograph a place I love, showing the art and also the people enjoying the museum.

Jim

[/IMG]

Three extremely nice images - the light in one is terrific - in two its the story and composition, in three the composition - very nice!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    agree, really nice and the nr2 stands out for me also.
    but i think my favourite is nr1, i love the light from the other room.
    nice compositions and captures on all of these, great!
    i dont want to pick at anything like the clothes/stuff at the floor in nr1
    or that the ventilation-grill hits the shoulder on the statue in 3,
    thats just very small things that dont take anything away from the pictures.=)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    photo projects are so satisfying and what more pleasant location than the MET. Bravo for your commitment thumb.gif

these are three beautiful shots - as BD mentioned, light and composition are terrific.

I think I love #2 - the juxtaposition of the lone boy on one side of the room against the mob of adults on the other is simply priceless. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Adbsgicom – I appreciate your comment.
    BD – Thank you.
    tortilla – Thanks. #1 is also my favorite. And the grill in #3 bugs me a little too.
    Angelo – Yes, I agree. For me tong term projects are the most rewarding.
    (That boy was reading a comic book. – grin)

• Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Great shots, light and compo!
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I love these - they all show that you put some thought into the taking of them. And, I *love* your project! What a great idea. I daresay, your total immersion in the art shows in your photos.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    Very nice work, Jim. I concur with everyone else that #2 takes the prize, but I like them all. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    JimW wrote:

Jim

I love these. It's not just about the art, it's about the people. I've never understood showing photographs of someone else's art, but in this case you are including the people and their reaction or lack of reaction to the art. It's a fantastic project.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Wonderful to see your work again, Jim! I was hoping you would share this project at some point. You have really developed a style that is beginning to be recognizable. Even in a new location, that #1 shot says Jim Whitaker Photography to me! Great lighting and great concept for a project. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Alex, Sara, Richard, Tina & Susan – I’m most grateful for your good vibes. Thanks.

Susan, what a joy to hear from an old friend! Well, not old, but you know, I mean a friend from before, more young than old, I mean, no wait, not old at all, totally young and cool. :D:D

Thanks so much for your support.

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Don't trip over your words, Jim, it's quite ok....being old can be cool, too! :D (It's nice to know there's still a few of us around!)
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Gotta love these. I said, "nice" out loud when I saw #3. This is just about my best response.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Very nice work. #1 is my favorite.

Personally I'm not a fan of windows in a museum. But #3 is a nice effect with indirect natural lighting.

Sounds like a very rewarding project, one that will give you satisfaction for years to come

Good luck with it.
    Rags
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    God, I love the Met!
    These are wonderful....
    Can't decide which would be my favorite...
    maybe 2??

Wishing I could skulk around there for YEARS (I really should look for some of my old negs...)
    Thanks for sharing them!
    Trish
    JimW wrote: