what makes a lens 'micro'?

JatZillaJatZilla Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited October 28, 2009 in Cameras
Ya I know, newbie question. :D

50mm f/1.4 lens. Its focal length is 50mm.

60mm f/2.8 lens. Its focal length is 60mm.

Is there any other difference? What makes the 60mm 'micro' and the 50mm a regular portrait lens?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    JatZilla wrote:
    Ya I know, newbie question. :D

50mm f/1.4 lens. Its focal length is 50mm.

60mm f/2.8 lens. Its focal length is 60mm.

Is there any other difference? What makes the 60mm 'micro' and the 50mm a regular portrait lens?

focusing distance is much much shorter in teh micro lens
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JatZillaJatZilla Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    focusing distance is much much shorter in teh micro lens

k so you mean the 50mm lens can't focus objects that are closer than, let's say, 2 feet away from the lens. In contrast, a 50mm micro lens can focus objects that are only 6 inches away from it?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    While there is the "true macro" definition of 1:1, where the image size at the image plane matches the subject size, there is also a "marketing macro", commonly used in zoom lens descriptions as just "macro", which infers an image that is "printed" to lifesize at a 4" x 6" print size (roughly A6). In this case the image is obviously enlarged when printed and about 1:4, or 1/4 lifesize (or less).

It would also appear that around 6:1 or so the terminology switches to "micro", except for Nikon who regularly use the term "Micro" to describe their "macro" series lenses.

In the other direction, starting at about 1:2 it appears more correct to use the term "close focus" (unless you are a lens manufacturer using the "marketing" form of the word "macro".)

Confused? I am. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Confused? I am. mwink.gif

Yes, it's very irritating. When I see the word "macro" in a lens description, I always look for "1:1" near it (or even higher values, like the 5:1 Canon MP-E 65 super-macro -- point is, the number on the left should be equal to or greater than the number on the right). Otherwise I don't consider it a macro lens.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    JatZilla wrote:
    k so you mean the 50mm lens can't focus objects that are closer than, let's say, 2 feet away from the lens. In contrast, a 50mm micro lens can focus objects that are only 6 inches away from it?

correct
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    This is why one should always visit the lens manufacturers site for the official specs on the lens......all that I have checked always state .... 1:1....1:2......1:4 and so on.....
    Generically Macro/Micro means closer than normal focusing.......on my 70-210 I have a focus distance of ~6 feet.....the newer 70-200 macro focus at around 39 inches for a 1:3.5 image.......I like my lens to keep a decent working distance from 18-40 inches for macro work as some things I do not want to be nose to nose with....this includes some plants that I am extremely allergic to but they have beautiful leaves and flowers......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Art,
    A Hazmat suit may be something you should think about adding to your equipmemt for those "extremely allergic" conditions you get into....:D