Please talk to me about fill flash

NensleyNensley Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited October 28, 2009 in Technique
I just bought a SB400 for my Nikon d40. I have never really used flash so I am very ignorant about it. I don't even know when it is needed. I hope I don't sound like a complete moron, but I really need direction. Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Book Recommendations...some cover more than just flash and exposure.....

Scott Kelby's Series The Digital Photography Book Vols 1-3 as of now......they can be had separatley also.......

Joe McNally's HotShoe Diaries

Susan McCartney's Mastering Flash Photography

FLASH the MOST ABVAILABLE LIGHT ....... A LUMI QUEST BOOK,,,,,,,,,,,
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Nensley wrote:
    I just bought a SB400 for my Nikon d40. I have never really used flash so I am very ignorant about it. I don't even know when it is needed. I hope I don't sound like a complete moron, but I really need direction. Thanks!
    Remember all those cameras you see floating around out there right now? Point and Shoots? You also remember how they-flash seems like every shot? They are trying to do some fill flash. But you also remember how they often make every one look either flat or like they have been flashed? Thats the part where you and your nice new SB400 come in. no matter what you read ...take lots of photos of whatever you have at hand..even an apple on a table and adjust your flash direction, adjust the +/_ signs on the flash button/controls...and of course, read~

and you can read Online here.

I'll bet Maggie Valley is alive right about now!:D
    tom wise
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I liked On-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photgraphy. It has a nice mix of using the flash, bouncing it to get a softer light, using the metering systems in your camera to optimize the light, dealing with light/dark clothing. It assumes you know how your camera works, and won't be telling you how to adjust f/stop, ISO, or shutter speed; but is reasonably detailed about how Nikon and Canon strobes work and how to control them.

Art, thanks for the other couple of references there as well. I've read the Hot Shoe Diaries, which is wonderful. Also by the same fellow is "The Moment it Clicks", not about flash, but a good read nonetheless.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site