Perfect Autum Day in Maine

PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Shortly after the shootout it was time for us in Bar Harbor to close the door for the season, as the weather gets to cold and rough to lead sea kayak tours. The last trip I lead was with a cool couple for a rainy sunset while it snowed in Otter Creek the next village out of Bar Harbor on rt3. The next week my boss Dave (who can be trusted:wink ) and I took a 14 nautical mile kayak trip from his house and around Hancock Point on a positivly perfect fall day. Hancock Point is on the northern end of Frenchman Bay providing some nice views south toward Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island. This is what I was able to get Thanks for taking a look, and C&C are always welcome.

#1. Dave paddling north past Youngs Point in the Skillings River, on the west side on Hancock Point. kinda windy at this point.
695605712_bN7eh-L.jpg

#2 The view south from Youngs Point
695607264_Fjs9a-L.jpg

#3 A quick break and snack
695609537_zAwNq-L.jpg

#4 to get around Hancock Point you have to cross from the Skillings River to Taunton Bay though an estuary passable only at high tide called The Carrying Place, to get in here took doing the "kayak limbo under a low train bridge:D
695612762_e92to-L.jpg

#5 Dave cruising through The Carrying Place, the water moves very swiftly through here, at one point we were probably moving at 7 to 9 knots(8 - 10.5 mph)
695611203_Hxi2t-L.jpg

#6 the seals eye view of our expidition
695617578_MmJH3-L.jpg

#7The Carrying Place getting smaller leading up to the rapids, why it is called Carrying Place:wink
695614493_4xkbK-L.jpg

695616079_NB4Q8-L.jpg

#9 taking a "commando break" on a private beach on the south end of Hancock Point:wink
695619419_UY4Wu-L.jpg

#10 the view south over Frenchman Bay
695624746_Bh873-L.jpg

#11 by evening the wind was gone and conditions were as near to perfect as can be
695621350_LWR7q-L.jpg

#12 A few sunsets to finish up
695625978_nXAeA-L.jpg

695626656_vB6DV-L.jpg

#14 last of the light still about 1nm from home
695627283_dipw2-L.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Great series, Peter--and fun captions to go along. I think #11 is my favorite--perhaps a tad too intense is the light on Dave's face, but overall I think the lighting makes that shot. I also like #9 for the composition and the story line.

What will you do now that the season is over? Bet you go through kayak withdrawal, eh? Or maybe you take up snowmobiling in winter . . . that's what I'd do if I lived up your way.

Thanks for sharing the close of season. Glad I was able to meet you in person that day at your shop!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Very nice series Photopaddler!! I really did enjoy your photos!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Ronand Lauren.:D I enjoyed meeting you as well Lauren, I called it a commando stop in #9 because property owners in Maine can own to the high tide line, and while our being on that beach was technically illeagle being slightly below high tide at that point it would still be considered very bad form to stop on that beach had the property owners been home.mwink.gif in #11 the light might be a little much on Dave's face, but i'm not sure how I could fix that. But man what a day, we were both glowing for days after our trip.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I figured "commando" had some sort of reference to a quick stop, but didn't know why. Interesting to hear about the high tide line determining property lines. I surely did see a lot of places I'd have liked to explore (on foot, not in a kayak) while I was there, but everything seemed to be marked with "No Trespassing" signs. I'll have to get my brother to take me out hunting with him so I can get some shots. . . of the digital kind, that is.

Didn't mean that you should try to fix anything on Dave's face. It just struck me as a bit intense but I think very realistic given the setting. I thought it was a terrific shot.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com