newbie...be gentle ;=)

pictakinmommypictakinmommy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 28, 2009 in People
I am hoping to get good feedback here to help me learn. I haven't taken a photography class in 20 years. I have been using a point & shoot for many of those years and finally just got a DSLR. Now I want to get serious :D practicing first with my daughter then hopefully, eventually, photographing other people's children. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Chris
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I am certain plenty of others here will be glad to guide you right down the road to great photography.

1. Personal peccadillo: I try to never actually take photos of people eating...though with kids ...rules can change with kids..but still...

2. Trying to get a photo of one this young can be tough, tough....some people do it easier than falling down..but others of us struggle...it looks as if you were alone in this shoot, and I see that as a detriment to getting good shots...no one is engaged with the child...and she appears to not be engaged with the camera. at that age, abstract thinking is rare, so someone else needs to be around to engage her.

3. All sorts of rules broken....and this is the chime in part for others guidance...but my vision and vision-sense says, all sorts of rules are broken every day in our world of paper and Online Magazines and they still use them for selling product to you and me.

Yours contains some broken rules such as:
    a. splotchy light..
    b. Arms disappearing.
    c. Poles running thru heads and torso's.

But really, for me...the biggest element missing is engagement/emotion.

cheers,
    tom wise
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    see some potential
    I agree that some general rules are broken, but these rules are broken all the time. Sometimes people squash potential by playing too much by the rules. Nice to have as general guidelines, but some of your best stuff is going to come with you stop worrying about all of that and start paying attention to moments and emotions. I agree some of the shots feel a little detached, but see some promise in a couple. I like the composition of the shot eating the cracker with hat hanging down so we can't see the eyes (though the rule says you shouldn't have the bar running through her head). Something interesting about it....also like the last one a lot -- looks like she is just enjoying herself on the beach and just realized someone was watching her. The sticklers will say you shouldn't crop on a joint (her right wrist) -- I might have preferred seeing the hand for a more complete 'pose' but I like the shot regardless. Nice potential - keep it up. And you have a great model to work with -- cute with lots of character in her face.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    My question to you is: Did you capture your daughter's personality with your photos? Are these ones that you want to share with others when showing your pride at having such a beautiful girl?

My guess is that the fourth one captures her best. She looks completely unaware of the camera here and has her attention elsewhere, maybe even bouncing her body back and forth on the rails.

If so, practice on your daughter when she is engaged with other people and activities. Take her photo when playing with others or with other relatives who are making her laugh or engaging her interest. Get her smiling, get her laughing, even get her crying. But don't tell her to pose for the camera cuz mommy wants to take a picture of her...

And I do like close ups a lot to capture the essence of people. You did this in # 1, 3, & 4.

Good luck, and enjoy (both camera and girl!)

Hope this helps.