693154295_iogUs-L.jpg

693160573_fYmeJ-L.jpg

695720908_3Ui5o-L.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I like the structure (parallel vertical lines) of #1, but really doing anything for me -- sorry.
    #2 is a great shot, just love it.
    #3 is fantastic thumb.gif. The sunset color are so rich and wonderfully contrasted by the yellow lamps. Love the couple walking off to the right -- show's over...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    For Black Mamba.

C&C always welcome.

Really like #2, Richard, though I wish I could see her feet.

I like the color in #1, very dreamy. Though the color in 3 seems a tad odd.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Number two makes me laugh, Richard. rolleyes1.gif Excellent shot.
    Travis
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Yo Richard,

Now you're cooking. I like them all. The second two are tops. Thanks for thinking of me.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I'm with Travis -- #2 really made me chuckle thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    Interesting shots, Richard.

I agree with the crowd that I prefer #2.

I do have a question about its composition, though. Does everyone really think the negative space at the left side of the image is best?

Does anyone think think ( besides me maybe? ) that the negative space should be on the right side of the image where the lady is staring so intently?

Neat catch anyway, Richard!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    These are an intriguing set. I have viewed them a number of times before finally posting this.

#1 first got me scratching my head. I like it now! It is a picture of "verticals" that has a number of interesting compositional elements in it. The people and the bus are obvious. What is of interest with the people is the women having to sidestep those loading. The grafitti on the bus door is matched by the grafitti on the lamppost. I keep looking into the bus (which is separated by the lamppost from those loading wanting to see what's up inside it. And finally, the trees on the left are perfect for this shot.

#2 It's eyegrabbing and a crackup. I feel like she is going to be hit by the ball in the next second.

#3 The choice of white balance is the point to me. The people are golden and the sky is pinkish. I like how they complement each other, though I know this is not how it looks to the human eye.

Thanks for posting these.
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    for me the nr1 is the strong one. very pleasing colors.
    but its the light thats important to me, its so soft but still very crisp, if that makes any sence.
    nice rim on the lady there and sparks on the lamp pole.
    you got composition & light, nice stuff.
    the nr2 is kinda funny,
    i dont find the nr3 too interesting im afraid.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback and kind words, everyone. I do appreciate it. thumb.gif

The color in #3 is odd, indeed, but that's the way it looks. I believe it's because the palace is lit with very blue/white floodlights while the streetlamps are yellow/orange. The palace acts as a huge reflector. It was quite dark already, so I doubt that enough light was coming from the sky to have much of an effect on the foreground, but it may be perceptually confusing to see such a strong red along with the rest. I didn't adjust the colors at all in post and I wouldn't know where to begin to try. Glad you noticed the couple at the lower left, Andrew--I liked that too.

BD: the missing feet was the lesser of two evils in #2, as there was an ugly backpack on the ground just out of frame to the left of the woman. I didn't think the joke depended on seeing her whole body and I'm not even sure it would have worked as well if you could see the ground. ne_nau.gif

Pathfinder: You might be right about all the empty space. This was shot outside an Argentinian cultural exhibition. The blue and white stripes are actually Argentina's flag, so I thought I would include that. It's not a country that I associate with polo somehow, but then what do I know about polo? Anyway, it might be just a bit too arcane and the joke doesn't depend on it either, so maybe I'll see what a crop looks like.

Rainbow and Tortillatorture: I am glad that you both picked up what appealed to me in #1. I also understand why others didn't care for it. It was mostly an experiment to see if I could capture the light--very low sun through distant haze. It worked better than I expected, but that didn't make the subject more compelling. I still kind of like it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    The space to the left of the lady in #2 doesn't bother me at all. I see it more as this lady came a long way to take a look at........what ever she is looking at headscratch.gif While some see her looking off into the distance I saw her looking at something else. Shame on me :)
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Funny that B.D. didn't like #3. It got an out loud "nice" when I saw it. Sometimes I see this kind of dusk color and it's one of the real visual pleasures of my life. I will say, "Look at that beautiful light and sky," and my wife and/or kids will say, "...And your point?"

The color works because you are showing a mixed cast. The light in the sky is different from the light from the street lights, which is much more yellow. If you like you can cool this foreground color a bit. See this thread for DavidTO's clear explanation of a technique for this.

As for #1, I couldn't help myself:

697304864_mA8vw-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    While some see her looking off into the distance I saw her looking at something else. Shame on me :)
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    ... If you like you can cool this foreground color a bit. See this thread for DavidTO's clear explanation of a technique for this.

As for #1, I couldn't help myself:

Thanks, John. I'm content to leave #1 as is. Considering it was shot without a tripod and at ISO 3200, I was lucky to get anything usable at all. mwink.gif

Your rework of #3 is skillful as ever, but I have mixed feelings about it. It certainly is much clearer than what I did. OTOH, the hazy look was part of what I saw, maybe because I was looking into the sun with dirty glasses lol3.gif. I'd be interested in hearing which version others prefer.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I think the single most important thing Rutt brought forward in his rework is the clarity of the markings on the lamp post. I don't prefer the faded atmosphere of your original, but I could have a different reaction if it were a print.