Around Town

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Here are a few shots from around town. From on top of the 'mound' a picture of the Prison. The state logo for WV is 'Mountaineers are Always Free' which is what the state seal says on top of the prison. What irony - wonder if the prisoners took a good look at that before entering.

The local glass factory being torn down on a foggy morning.

695861324_gnvxc-XL.jpg

695861507_YtfDb-XL.jpg

695865454_vNQin-XL.jpg

695871699_256s4-XL.jpg

695875468_NAZNA-XL.jpg

695877510_BbC2E-XL.jpg

691117619_Sc8Wa-XL.jpg

691124423_DzrYV-XL.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Wow, WV has some seriously ugly prison guards....rolleyes1.gif
    What sort of business is no longer there? Is that leftovers from the steel industry? I grew up in Pittsburgh, so derilict steel mills were all to common to all too long.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Really nice photos Eia. I really like the two last ones. As for the guy on the rooftop .. mean looking guy :D
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Very nice!clap.gif

Love #1 best
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Wow, WV has some seriously ugly prison guards....rolleyes1.gif
    What sort of business is no longer there? Is that leftovers from the steel industry? I grew up in Pittsburgh, so derilict steel mills were all to common to all too long.

Laughing.gif- the Prison is now empty and hosts a Halloween event yearly. No steel mill, but sadly, the Fostoria glass works folded years ago and they are just now tearing down the building. It once made dinnerware for the Queen of England and all sorts of beautiful glass. Thanks for your comment!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Beautiful country side. Haunted house? Are we going to see inside pics of the prison building? Looks very interesting.

Nice shots Eia
    Randy
    edited October 29, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Beautiful country side. Haunted house? Are we going to see inside pics of the prison building? Looks very interesting.

Nice shots Eia

Thanks for the comment. No pics from the inside. I cannot get anyone brave enough to go in with me. Apparently the 'tour' is very well done and realistic so it is not for the faint of heart. Busloads of people from all over visit this yearly. They have regular 'historic' tours the rest of the year and it is also used for many movie sets and police from around the world come to practice prison riots and the like. I've toured the place a few times and it is very depressing. I've also been in there a few times when it was 'open for business' but it was only to visit special speakers on days the public was allowed to come in - but that was back in the day! :D
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Freedom is a state of mind.

If ya gotta be locked up.....at least you have a view!

Interesting series. thumb.gif
    edited October 29, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Freedom is a state of mind.

If ya gotta be locked up.....at least you have a view!

Interesting series. thumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gif words of wisdom!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    You have some really good shots here, Eia. The surrounding area is truly beautiful. I wonder what will eventually be done with the old prison?
    Good work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 29, 2009
    You have some really good shots here, Eia. The surrounding area is truly beautiful. I wonder what will eventually be done with the old prison?
    Good work.

Tom

Thanks much for the comment. The town hopes it can bring enough revenue in from the tourists to help maintain the building. It would be a shame to tear it down if nothing else for its history!