Team and Individual football

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I had someone ask me about doing some team and individual shots. would love to get started in this market. I am a long time smugmug user, but am wondering if they are set up for the kind of things I have seen over the years as a parent.

any ideas?

Comments

• OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I don't think so Josh, I self fulfill my T&I
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Onrey wrote:
    I don't think so Josh, I self fulfill my T&I

do you print them on smugmug? What kind of packages do you offer?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    not yet.
    Smugmug is not yet ready to handle this job. Once they roll out packages and coupons/vouchers (any week now?), they will be. But if you're talking about this football season, do not hesitate to look to exposuremanager.com or Miller's, or I think zenfolio.com can do it.

I did it this past spring, and fulfilling 200 package orders myself was a nightmare I will never repeat. If you're only dealing with a handful of teams, it might be worth it to just DIY.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Smugmug is not yet ready to handle this job.
    ... I think zenfolio.com can do it.

Zenfolio supports coupons, but not packages outside of custom/self-fulfilled products. It's usable if your package only contains one image. Otherwise, there's no way to collect the package configuration. They've been promising it for over a year, but have yet to deliver.ne_nau.gif
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Zenfolio supports coupons, but not packages outside of custom/self-fulfilled products. It's usable if your package only contains one image. Otherwise, there's no way to collect the package configuration. They've been promising it for over a year, but have yet to deliver.ne_nau.gif

Sounds familiar. rolleyes1.gif

I personally like the idea of selling a coupon as a voucher better than a package. For example, sell a $35 coupon for $25 and let the customer get whatever they want instead of forcing them into your idea of what a package should be.

However in my town they've been doing packages forever, so doing away with them altogether would really confuse and disorient the shockingly large percentage of people who are incapable of reading simple directions.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I had someone ask me about doing some team and individual shots. would love to get started in this market. I am a long time smugmug user, but am wondering if they are set up for the kind of things I have seen over the years as a parent.

any ideas?
    Exposure Manager could pretty much handle everything you need. Setup various packages, setup volume discounts, sell vouchers.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Josh,
    You might want to just check some of your local processors and see what their prices for various MEMORY MATE packages are............
    Most T/I MEMORYMATES are in 2 starting formats team shot wil be either 5x7 or 8x10 and the individuals will be
    4x5(3 1/2x5) or 5x7 ...................then you need to find out if the parents are really into the JUNK buttons, key chains and so on.........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    then you need to find out if the parents are really into the JUNK buttons, key chains and so on.........
    And trading cards. Are those still big?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • JC ImageryJC Imagery Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    We just did a soccer league with 600 kids, 65 teams and I would never self fulfill that amount. We went with a lab I researched the tar out of that was a state away. They printed the payment envelopes with my chosen packages so it was all computer-read at the lab. After the shoot, I took the checks out of the envelope, mailed off the envelopes and the lab put Johnny's order in Johnny's bag and I gave it to the league to give to Johnny.

Based on the orders we received in the Pacific Northwest, trader cards and magazine covers were big. Second biggest was our lowest package: memory mate and wallets.

Hope that helps some.
    Photographing Life! http://jcimagery.net
  • justplayjustplay Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2010
    help
    what type of commission should you offer leagues? I just got asked to do a league of 60 teams and over 800 players. I've worked these many times but never had to deal with league commissions. Anyone know the standard rate?

Smugmug is not yet ready to handle this job. Once they roll out packages and coupons/vouchers (any week now?), they will be. But if you're talking about this football season, do not hesitate to look to exposuremanager.com or Miller's, or I think zenfolio.com can do it.

I did it this past spring, and fulfilling 200 package orders myself was a nightmare I will never repeat. If you're only dealing with a handful of teams, it might be worth it to just DIY.
  • justplayjustplay Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2010
    Help! I just picked up a league with 65 teams over 800 kids. What type of commissions are being offered for this amount of kidss?
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I don't give the league any commission. They actually pay me for any kids that don't order a package (they just get a "sports composite" (a team and individual pic on the same print). I am using Black River Imaging (http://www.blackriverimaging.com) because kids still want all the other things besides the prints, and BRI has a good selection. Some other people on here are trying out Millers for this, and I think HH has offerings as well. Because of this, you set your price point and your margins. As someone commented in another thread, make sure you have a wide range in pricing. There are parents out there willing to drop $100 on their kids pics, you don't want to miss out on them.

There are also several recent threads on here about the sports pics - it would probably help you to read them.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter