Save The Old Signs...They're Retirement

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited November 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Across the road from this old shed were two old, much larger barns that belonged to a neighbor. They were literally covered from top to bottom on all four sides with old Texaco signs. The insides were also stuffed with Texaco signs and other Texaco items. The old guy who owned them ( who I had spoken to on several ocassions over the years ) had some health issues and the family staged an auction to sell what they could. When the auction was over, they had sold every item for a total exceeding $200,000. Buyers had come from all over the country to get in on the sale. His collection was well known and the bidding was brisk. Man, I'm going to get a bigger truck and start scouring the backroads.

Tom

684400903_HN8iL-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    Awesome. clap.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    This image will keep my eyes busy for a while.

Gotta' run, have to look at the picture some more.
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Great time of year to capture this with the fall colors. Great image of a potpourri of times gone by.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Reminds me of a classic postcard! thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hey Richard,

Thanks for the kind remark.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi Randy,

I find these kind of places irresistible.....I see one, I have to stop. Most folks are happy to have you look around, particularly if they're trying to sell the stuff as this guy was. I have, though, on ocassion gone up to a farm house and ask the folks if they mind if I take pictures of their old barn, etc. I always take Darlene with me when I do that....if she's with me. She can charm the skin off of a snake.

Take care,

Tom
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Nice shot, great story!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi Tom........Was the picture shot in N.C.???? Great shot..Thoese signs go back to a time when it was important to get rubber in second gear and we looked for the Burma Shave signs.. thumb.gifthumb azzaro
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Wonderful!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, the Fall kind of sets this scene off. Thanks for the kind words.

Tom
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hey Eia,

I can see the postcard thing. It certainly is a scene representative of the area.

Tom
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi Nikolai,

I really appreciate the gracious comments.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Old signs are in demand. My neighbor just put up a sign from his grandpa's old farm machine place. Haven't been able to get a good photo of it yet.

The little red car on thetop of the shed -- I remember driving around in one of those. Sure makes me old, but it was old when I was hummin' around in itrolleyes1.gif

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's illness. Sad to see someone have to say goodbye to their collection that took a lifetime to gather.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Howdy Tom
    Those old signs are in great condition. I too am unable to pass by places like that without stopping. Those signs remind me of the gas stations we used to pull into in the late 1950's for a dollar's worth of gas which would keep us cruisin' all weekend! :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited October 30, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Yes, this was shot up in the NC high country....just outside of West Jefferson heading on over to TN. It's an area I ride through frequently.
    Burma Shave !! Boy, I haven't thought of those in years. They used to be THE THING.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 30, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Thanks for looking. I'm glad you liked it.

Be well,

Tom
    edited October 30, 2009
    This one fits the whole memories theme of this Tom's thread:

Shaving brushes / You'll soon see 'em / On the shelf / In some / Museum / Burma-Shave

I have the Burma-Shave book around somewhere; my folks had it and I got the biggest kick reading it as a kid.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited October 30, 2009
    That's really interesting, Lauren. I didn't know there was a Burma-Shave book, but I'm not surprised. After all, those signs were a mainstay of highway travel for a long, long time.

Tom
    edited October 30, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

I think we must have all enjoyed a pedal car at some point in time. At least those of us with any age on us.

I should have been a little more clear....the sign sale was for the neighbor of the guy who owned the shed in the picture. The guy, whose family staged the sale, had at one time been a wholesale Texaco dealer. I spoke with him several times, as I would stop and shoot his barns. He had acquired all that stuff with the idea of one day selling it all.

Since he had been a dealer, much of what he had saved ( signs and even a complete pump ) were still in their factory shipping wrappers. I was told that the pump sold for over $25,000.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

I think we must have all enjoyed a pedal car at some point in time. At least those of us with any age on us.

I should have been a little more clear....the sign sale was for the neighbor of the guy who owned the shed in the picture. The guy, whose family staged the sale, had at one time been a wholesale Texaco dealer. I spoke with him several times, as I would stop and shoot his barns. He had acquired all that stuff with the idea of one day selling it all.

Since he had been a dealer, much of what he had saved ( signs and even a complete pump ) were still in their factory shipping wrappers. I was told that the pump sold for over $25,000.

Amazing what collectors will pay for something. Will really be a bummer if the next generation doesn't want "old things"
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    This one fits the whole memories theme of this Tom's thread:

Shaving brushes / You'll soon see 'em / On the shelf / In some / Museum / Burma-Shave

I have the Burma-Shave book around somewhere; my folks had it and I got the biggest kick reading it as a kid.

I will have to find the book.....When I was a kid my favorite was...Free free a trip to Mars 900 empty jars Burma Shave..... azzaro
    edited November 7, 2009
    It's called "Verse By The Side of the Road."

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com