Options

#36 Just Curious

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited October 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
A couple of Ideas I had bouncing around in me noggin. Right track? Wrong Track?

1) Not sure on a title yet

696350827_2tfE7-M-1.jpg

2) Spirit Walk

696350891_t7R3B-M-1.jpg

First thoughts at even trying to compete with the skills of all the GREAT Photographers here. :scratch I'm a Newbie to all of this still. With a minimal background in Photography I was kind of thrust into the realm of pixels this past May. I haven't looked back and am enjoying the ride so far... Looking forward to C&C from the masters I have witnessed. :ivar
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I like #2. Good job. I can't tell if the foreground is fog or an out of focus object which is kind of distracting. Some fog would be cool looking, although hard to arrange for prior to a re-shoot and I'm not sure how easy to add in PP. Never done it before.
    Definitely on the right track though.
    I was kind of thrust into the realm of pixels this past May. I haven't looked back and am enjoying the ride so far...
    It's good to see you here! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Fellow Newbie! I think #1 is an excellent location. Now if there's a reshoot in the future, at night, with some different lighting to go with it. would definitely make it a little more spooky. #2 I get the haze as some paranormal ghostly effect. Not sure what else you could do to tweak it. Excellent start though. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi there,
    I'm just letting you know that I like #2. I think the dark setting and the lighting just works.

Wish I knew how to work on stuff PP to give you more tips. But I think it's a good image--#1 has potential, as was stated before, it just needs a reshoot later in the day, too bright right now, for me anyway, and that tree on the right looks like it's falling on the church, kinda distracting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I like #2. Good job. I can't tell if the foreground is fog or an out of focus object which is kind of distracting. Some fog would be cool looking, although hard to arrange for prior to a re-shoot and I'm not sure how easy to add in PP. Never done it before.
    Definitely on the right track though.
    It's good to see you here! thumb.gif

Thanks All for the Comments. The "foggy" foreground is something I was trying out that's actually kinda silly. I was holding a lit cigarette in my focus hand just out of frame and letting the smoke dance across the frame. I should be able to darken more of that aspect out of it.
    Randy

• Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    Fellow Newbie! I think #1 is an excellent location. Now if there's a reshoot in the future, at night, with some different lighting to go with it. would definitely make it a little more spooky. :B

Thanks A re-shoot isn't totally out of the question. It is a local graveyard not sure how the Police react to night time visitors there, yet. Its rainy and gloomy today so I'm thinking it might be a great time for a redo!! Muuuuuuahaahhhhhaaahhahaa Graveyards at night in the rain..... :grim

Aspecto5 wrote:
    #2 I get the haze as some paranormal ghostly effect. Not sure what else you could do to tweak it. Excellent start though. :B

I thought of having a friend of mine stand beside the Tombstone on the right wearing his Black trench Coat while wielding an axe, darkening him to a silhouette behind the "Smoke"headscratch.gif.... Maybe..
    Randy

• Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hi there,
    I'm just letting you know that I like #2. I think the dark setting and the lighting just works.

Wish I knew how to work on stuff PP to give you more tips. But I think it's a good image--#1 has potential, as was stated before, it just needs a reshoot later in the day, too bright right now, for me anyway, and that tree on the right looks like it's falling on the church, kinda distracting.

Thanks Liz!

I have VERY limited knowledge on the PP stuff too. Using Photoshop Essentials 7 seems to be kind of limiting. But I am learning and finding new tricks everyday!!
    Randy

• Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    #1 has potential as said before but #2 fits the theme better imo. Don't know if it would be possible but having something to guess like a face or a human silhouette in the smoke would be terrific !
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    #2 definitely a better fit for the theme. I'd see what a re-shoot might bring.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I like #2 - really cool shot and more of a creepy feel.