Options

I Need Help Creating a Bridal Show Display...

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited January 20, 2010 in Weddings
As I dig deeper into my wedding photography business, I'm starting to look into bridal shows. There are a few coming up in January and I want to start planning for them now. I have a single sample wedding album - nothing more. So let's discuss this...

1. What does a good bridal show display contain?
2. What has/hasn't worked for you in bridal shows?
3. What to expect, booking wise, from a bridal show? (ex: I booked 3,4,5, ect. weddings)

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I guess you could try https://fotoflot.com/?
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Copyright
    Those are standout mounts on the image with the copyright you violated.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Shows
    I used to do shows many years ago and pulled out. You have to find out, or get a limit on, the number of studios in attendence. Without that you are just bidding on e-bay in my opinion. Looking at the samples, they all look good, so it comes down to the attitude and personality of the photographer. If you do go, try and avoid talking prices in depth. If you can get the subject around to making and appt with the couple together and then talk about what they want even better.
    Much better to network with wedding co-ordinators, caterers and limo services. Offer them free use of your shots in exchange for referrals.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    digger2 wrote:
    I used to do shows many years ago and pulled out. You have to find out, or get a limit on, the number of studios in attendence. Without that you are just bidding on e-bay in my opinion. Looking at the samples, they all look good, so it comes down to the attitude and personality of the photographer. If you do go, try and avoid talking prices in depth. If you can get the subject around to making and appt with the couple together and then talk about what they want even better.
    Much better to network with wedding co-ordinators, caterers and limo services. Offer them free use of your shots in exchange for referrals.

Thanks for the info. I have heard that giving discounts for bookings that day work. Has anyone had experience with that?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    dawssvt wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I have heard that giving discounts for bookings that day work. Has anyone had experience with that?

I've never done a bridal show but I'd agree with the previous post above about trying not to talk pricing on the day of if you can. You can always give the brides coupons for X% off if you're learning that way. If you don't want to really drop your prices for them too, you could adjust the prices you show them to be a little higher than your norm so that when they use their 10% or whatever coupon off, it brings it back down to the normal package prices you sell.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    If you don't have enough portfolio to show, then I would suggest you go as a guest this time and see what the show is like in preparation for the next show. If you are without the stuff to show people then you will be promoting the next studio because they most likely will have multiple albums, huge, dramatic displays and lots of promotional materials.

My experience tells me you need 5-6 albums at a minimum and some pretty huge prints and signage. Even without frames, you need to show a variety of prints that are mounted and only of exceptional work. I would cost out the price of mounting and printing no smaller than 20 x30 images and a minimum of 10 -15 of those. Even bigger is better. My promotional materials cost me over $1000 to print and I designed them via my lab. If you built one album you know you can figure another $1000 for 4 more albums at minimum.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I've never done a bridal show but I'd agree with the previous post above about trying not to talk pricing on the day of if you can. You can always give the brides coupons for X% off if you're learning that way. If you don't want to really drop your prices for them too, you could adjust the prices you show them to be a little higher than your norm so that when they use their 10% or whatever coupon off, it brings it back down to the normal package prices you sell.

Great advice on adjusting the prices. Thanks for that thumb.gif
    ChatKat wrote:
    If you don't have enough portfolio to show, then I would suggest you go as a guest this time and see what the show is like in preparation for the next show. If you are without the stuff to show people then you will be promoting the next studio because they most likely will have multiple albums, huge, dramatic displays and lots of promotional materials.

My experience tells me you need 5-6 albums at a minimum and some pretty huge prints and signage. Even without frames, you need to show a variety of prints that are mounted and only of exceptional work. I would cost out the price of mounting and printing no smaller than 20 x30 images and a minimum of 10 -15 of those. Even bigger is better. My promotional materials cost me over $1000 to print and I designed them via my lab. If you built one album you know you can figure another $1000 for 4 more albums at minimum.

It's my goal to be ready by the middle of January (there are two different bridal shows in January). I've been doing quite a bit of research with printers/albums and I think I can have enough material by the shows. I think I'm going to get a WHCC book printed along with a ZookBook for a higher end album - both of these will have parent albums as well.

I've been looking into bigger prints and there are a few that stick out to me. They are WHCC's "float wraps" and "gallery wraps." Do you have any experience with either of those?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    WHCC is the shizznizzle! Know that! :D

....and just go to your local sign-shop. Lots of choices and if you're a creative enough designer, the end result will rock. My suggestion would be to NOT just hang canvas wraps, etc....from a wall in the back or on the sides.

Ok, I've said enough mwink.gif ....go to the sign shop! thumb.gif (Big Obvious Hint-Hint Wink-Wink :D)
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    IIf you don't want to really drop your prices for them too, you could adjust the prices you show them to be a little higher than your norm so that when they use their 10% or whatever coupon off, it brings it back down to the normal package prices you sell.

I would NEVER do that. It seems dishonest. Your prices are your prices. If you can't afford to give 10% off, or say a fixed $50 off then either raise your prices (for everyone) or offer a promotion you can afford.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Highest end you can afford
    I would never use a sign from a sign shop for photography printing. You sell what you show people. i did an expo yesterday and I sold multiple sessions based on showing gallery wraps and beautifully framed work.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I would never use a sign from a sign shop for photography printing. You sell what you show people. i did an expo yesterday and I sold multiple sessions based on showing gallery wraps and beautifully framed work.

What company do you use for gallery wraps? I've been looking into WHCC's float wraps.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:

Not at all what I was suggesting. The sign shop is for the booth, not for printing anything...except for the displays of course. Some Hybrid displays, some banner stands, etc. Sure, have some canvas prints for Show & Tell but let the booth pull them in from across the convention floor. YOu have to be creative with it, however. Check out some Airport displays, Corporate offices, high end retail stores within your local mall, etc., you'll get an idea of what I'm referring to. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Surprised nobody has referred you to this thread.....

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116437&highlight=bridal+show
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    unclejon wrote:
    Surprised nobody has referred you to this thread.....

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116437&highlight=bridal+show

Thanks I just read through that whole thread!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    905Apertures905Apertures Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2009
    It's gotta be about you and your style. Many of the brides and couples I market to are not impressed with multiple big puffy leather albums laying on a table. They want to see the expression on the faces of other couples, having fun and you knowing when to press that shutter. In 5 years of doing bridal shows, I've only had one couple book on that day. I do offer a set rate discount if they book within a month of the show and bring me the flyer or brochure we handed out to show they were there. The booth doesn't need to be huge - or super elaborate. It's your images that will interest them. From there - it's your selling style and personality - the face to face meeting. I use bridal shows to fill the holes in our schedule and build relationships with other vendors. Any good wedding photographer should have the majority of their work come from referrals. Take a few of your best images that you're proud of - blow 'em up big and hang 'em or put 'em on an easel stand. Be happy, smile lots, hand out lots of stuff - it's a grab all for the brides to be - they sort the stuff at home and most of it winds up in the recycle bin anyhow.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    The bridal show was this past Sunday. Check out the thread here...

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1308336#post1308336

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX