JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited October 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
696493635_ASaEi-L.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    If that were a western woman,,,, I'd say that she's pissed at her bus being late. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    696493635_ASaEi-L.jpg

How about "Higher Contrast?"
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    If that were a western woman,,,, I'd say that she's pissed at her bus being late. rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe she's pissed at her bus carrying a load of melons and cars being late? :D
    Travis
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:

There may be darker forces at work here. The graffiti means "May they all leave" in Spanish and the symbol looks rather like a right-wing logo I have seen somewhere. But I'm a little confused--isn't this in Istanbul? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    There may be darker forces at work here. The graffiti means "May they all leave" in Spanish and the symbol looks rather like a right-wing logo I have seen somewhere. But I'm a little confused--isn't this in Istanbul? headscratch.gif
    The symbol is an anarchy symbol so, knowing the Spanish text, it all comes together a little better.
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

It's a great shot. Love the expression on her. There is also a mesh of culture here. Where is the spanish on the wall coming from?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I fully confess that I don't know the full context of what's happening... But do know that whatever it is, she's not amused by it. mwink.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    The symbol is an anarchy symbol so, knowing the Spanish text, it all comes together a little better.

Ah, right. I knew I had seen it before. So it's really a no-wing symbol. mwink.gif

This is an interesting test of the "an image must speak for itself" idea. Without the title, I would immediately have assumed that the pic was taken in a Spanish speaking country (quite possibly Spain) and that the graffiti showed anti-immigrant sentiments. If that is indeed Turkey, then one might guess that the conflict is between religious and secular Muslims, but why the Spanish? A Spanish neighborhood in Istanbul? Or maybe I have missed the meaning altogether or am trying to read too much into it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    My idea of the contrast is the rather conservative attire vs. the symbol of anarchy- particularly since you rarely see this sort of chador in Beyoglu. The shot is in Turkey, not Spain, I really have no idea why the Spanish is there, but I can see now that the photo alone might be misinterpreted as "anti-immigrant." Although I imagine the subject is an immigrant from Anatolia, at the very least. Here's another interesting one.

696538792_aB9UW-L.jpg
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    the last picture reminds me of another photo i have seen recently,
    in the picture im talking about the burka-woman had some kind of police authority.
    that may not be the case here, but that was my first thought.
    anyway, story or not, i like the second one much more than the first.
    much more interesting to look at for me at least.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    My idea of the contrast is the rather conservative attire vs. the symbol of anarchy- particularly since you rarely see this sort of chador in Beyoglu. The shot is in Turkey, not Spain, I really have no idea why the Spanish is there, but I can see now that the photo alone might be misinterpreted as "anti-immigrant." Although I imagine the subject is an immigrant from Anatolia, at the very least. Here's another interesting one.

696538792_aB9UW-L.jpg

"The eyes have it!"

Just in time for Halloween here -- kind of spooky!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    How about "Higher Contrast?"

Too much, B.D. This is a fine shot just the way it is, made better by understanding the context of the graffiti.
    If not now, when?