Options

What I Learned from Joe McNally

2»

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Great shots! I'm so jealous, I'm a big fan of McNally, his work, and his books.

Thanks, Tim! You'd be a fan of the man himself in person, I'm sure. He's a hoot and a half and just such a pleasure to be around and listen to. The man is filled with fascinating stories.

And you make very good points about the CLS system constraints. For my use, which is mainly studio or working with light very close to the subject outdoors, CLS is perfect and nearly flawless. I suspect as my ideas grow bigger (which they already have, thanks to this workshop), I'll discover more limits...and have the Radiopoppers with me just in case. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Really, though, I learned that Joe is an incredible teacher and a great guy. And the logical way to light any scene is to expose for ambient first and add lights one at a time. It really does work! :D

Thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
    These are simply stunning shots! I'm going to have to look into workshops a bit in coming year!

As for the lighting thing - I learned it just a bit differently, "Expose for the ambient. Add additional lights, one at a time, to resolve any remaining issues. Repeat as necessary." Basically, don't add lights just to be adding lights. Add lights to achieve a pre-determined effect or to solve a problem. But it all amounts to the same thing in the end :D
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Do you find his workshops just by keeping up on the his blog/site? The upcoming workshops are mostly the 1-day and/or landscape workshops (other than the 2-day in Houston I can't attend).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    This workshop was a collaboration with Syl Arena's Paso Robles Workshops. I actually found out about it through Twitter after I posted about wanting to attend the Within the Frame workshop in Italy (which I gave in and signed up for mwink.gif), and April replied asking if I'd looked into this PRW workshop with McNally. The stars just aligned because I was already flying out there for business the week before the workshop.

I follow many photographers I admire on Twitter and have stumbled over a few workshops I want to attend that way. I'm also looking into the Sante Fe Workshops, which I learned about from religiously reading David Hobby's Strobist blog. thumb.gif

My obsession started right here, though, when I attended a Muench Workshop in Scotland. It was incredible and really set the bar high for the type of workshops I look for.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    fantastic results!! thumb.gif

Must. Attend. McNally. Workshop. Quick! :D
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Finished the book today, gotta get to a seminar!:ian
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
    I saw Joe's seminar in South San Francisco as well (how I missed April is beyond me :)). Anyway, after that, I was convinced of the Nikon's superior out of the box features--it comes across as a sales job at the seminar because it was so easy and because McNally is both good at what he does and good at explaining it.

That doesn't mean you can't get similar results with Canon's system--you can. Just look at Kerry's take. There are some very good photos there. What Nikon does give you is more freedom to create because there is less to think about technically leaving you free to think more about what you want to accomplish.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    That doesn't mean you can't get similar results with Canon's system--you can. Just look at Kerry's take.

You'll need to look at April's whenever she can get to it...I shoot Nikon. mwink.gif Your statement is true regardless because she also got awesome photos. The same lighting scenarios can be achieved with Canon as with Nikon, it's just a bit tougher to do so with Canon. And way more annoying to deal with if you have short time constraints like we did.
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    It seems like your color balance between the ambient light and flash is very good -- did you have the flashes filtered, or did you tweak the white balance after, or nothing was needed in these situations?
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    photofarrellphotofarrell Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2009
    thanks!
    thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    1pocket wrote:
    It seems like your color balance between the ambient light and flash is very good -- did you have the flashes filtered, or did you tweak the white balance after, or nothing was needed in these situations?

Good question! I didn't tweak my white balance in post at all, even before applying some of the more artistic processing. In some cases, I placed a CTO gel on the speedlight to warm it up a little and balance more with the daylight. In the first post, my speedlight was gelled in 3 and 7. In 4, only the speedlight camera left was gelled since I was using it to fill in the natural sunlight streaming through the open door. The background speedlights and hair light were not gelled in that one and were a bit cooler, which didn't bother me. In 6, the warmth came from light bouncing off all that wood of the barrels.

The rest in this set were not gelled, probably because I was moving too quickly to think of it most of the time. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 31, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You'll need to look at April's whenever she can get to it...I shoot Nikon. mwink.gif Your statement is true regardless because she also got awesome photos. The same lighting scenarios can be achieved with Canon as with Nikon, it's just a bit tougher to do so with Canon. And way more annoying to deal with if you have short time constraints like we did.

I thought you were hanging with Syl?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    A really informative thread, I've just ordered Joe's book :D

Some great images too, well done.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I thought you were hanging with Syl?

Only on the last day, when they mixed the Nikon/Canon groups. Syl happened to stop by while I was shooting and helped calm me down, even though I was a Nikon shooter. :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    :lurk ear.gif
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Awesome series. I really like #2 and #6. I have been meaning to get Hot Shoe Diaries for a while now. It's been on my wish list. Think I will cross it off and head on down to the bookstore I frequent today, as I know they carry it. I pick it up everytime I am in there...Laughing.gif. rolleyes1.gif Heading over to your blog now!
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Kerry mentioned it it in her first post, but I don't think many people picked it up because her images so fabulous (!!!)

These images are SOC -- straight out of camera, no post processing, no cropping, no fixing of white balance -- no photoshop!
    Llywellyn wrote:
    69690294541_jwgZr-M.jpg690294541_jwgZr-M.jpg

690297325_suY78-M.jpg

690298767_3a6RK-M.jpg
    I've seen the SOC version of the other images in her original post and they're pretty much the same except for minor tweak like toning and sharpening.

You really can get great images without post if you get it right in camera.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Kerry, great stuff. You learn really well.

For the Canon shooters have you ever heard of Radio Poppers. Great product for controlling ocf while still having ettl.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    These images are SOC -- straight out of camera, no post processing, no cropping, no fixing of white balance -- no photoshop!

You really can get great images without post if you get it right in camera.

Noteworthy point!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Santa Fe Workshops
    I have taken 6 workshops in Santa Fe - it is a center of learning for all levels of photography based on your interests. The light in Santa Fe is amazing - they have incredible world class teachers with a proven track record of providing some of the best photographic programs for teaching.

I took a beginning workshop from Sarah Meghan Lee there about 8 years ago there and it laid a great foundation. The studio lighting and Lightroom/PS workshops were also great immersion lessons.

Editing to add that any of the Muench Workshops would be an incredible experience and are on my list. I have also taken a few classes at the Julia Dean Workshops in Venice, California

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to take a workshop from Joe McNally for a long time. I didn't know about the Paso Robles workshops - they are driving distance for me so I will have to take a look.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 1, 2009
    Kerry,

Great series of images, and great explanations of how each shot was lit. I love how nicely images can look with great light straight out of the camera.

You did not expressly state how the flashes were each triggered. Were all the speedlites triggered with the built in flash via CLS, or were PWs involved?

If you are shooting manual flash only, you can use Vivitar HV285s ( much cheaper than SB888s, SB900s etc ), or other manual flashes with a PC cord to a PW as well, whether shooting Nikon, Canon, Contx or whatever of course.

My experience with the Canon wireless system is that indoors it works well for me, but out of doors it can be much more problematic. With PWs and manual flash, Canon seems to work quite well indoors or out.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thanks for all the kind words, all! iloveyou.gif
    pathfinder wrote:
    You did not expressly state how the flashes were each triggered. Were all the speedlites triggered with the built in flash via CLS, or were PWs involved?

I mainly used the built-in flash to trigger my off-camera lights. I know at least once I placed the SB800 on my camera and used it as a master to control more groups, but only once. And not for the one time I used four lights, in image #4, which would have been the smart place to do that. rolleyes1.gif

Most of the time I had only about 20 min. to shoot before it was time for another photographer to take over, and the built-in CLS allowed me to move more quickly and efficiently. thumb.gif

I had my Radiopoppers with me, but I never took them out of the bag.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 1, 2009
    Cool, I wondered if the built in flash was able to work in the bright sunlight of your first shot. Very impressive demonstration of the CLS system.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool, I wondered if the built in flash was able to work in the bright sunlight of your first shot. Very impressive demonstration of the CLS system.

I think it worked because the people themselves were directly blocking the sun, and the signal may have even bounced off them to hit the flashes camera right. I thought nothing of it that first day, but as you say, very impressive. I appreciated it so much more by the end. nod.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    In an earlier post I led everyone to believe that Radio Poppers work with Canon but they also work with Nikon. Sorry about that. IF you haven't given these a look take a peak at them.

http://radiopopper.com/
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I have taken 6 workshops in Santa Fe - it is a center of learning for all levels of photography based on your interests. The light in Santa Fe is amazing - they have incredible world class teachers with a proven track record of providing some of the best photographic programs for teaching.

I WISH I could say the same thing for Georgia. I live in Middle GA (Warner Robins/Macon area) and the closest opportunities we have for training are in Atlanta and there are not too many offerings there either. I did attend the WPPI Atlanta Road Show this year and it was awesome!! I just wish I had more chances for some training. The other downside is that I work a regular J.O.B. and the classes/seminars usually happen in the A.M.
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800