Options

NIKON Picture Poject Alternative?

MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi,
I haven't changed my workflow in a couple of years, and have used Picture Project to crop RAW images (to 4x6 or 5x7 format), sharpen a bit, brighten a little and export as jpeg. That's all I need, I don't want to spend alot of time doing this. My nikon software has become incredibly slow for whatever reason (to load a RAW image and to export) and I was hoping there were any alternatives to this software that can do what I want in a few simple steps but speed up my workflow?

I like that Picture Project has a simple interface and in a few clicks I've changed the photo and exported. Can someone recommend easy to use software that that works with RAW but is faster than picture project?

Thanks,
Jon

Comments

• Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Marlowe wrote:
    Hi,
    I haven't changed my workflow in a couple of years, and have used Picture Project to crop RAW images (to 4x6 or 5x7 format), sharpen a bit, brighten a little and export as jpeg. That's all I need, I don't want to spend alot of time doing this. My nikon software has become incredibly slow for whatever reason (to load a RAW image and to export) and I was hoping there were any alternatives to this software that can do what I want in a few simple steps but speed up my workflow?

I like that Picture Project has a simple interface and in a few clicks I've changed the photo and exported. Can someone recommend easy to use software that that works with RAW but is faster than picture project?

Thanks,
    Jon

Mac or Win? There are low cost and free, quality raw converters for both operating systems (Raw Photo Processor on the Mac and Raw Therapee on Win), not to mention the Gimp and the raw workflows that come with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Elements. One can even open raw files and perform basic edits with Apple Preview and Apple iPhoto on the Mac. If I recall correctly, Nikon offer a very basic free NEF plug for Photoshop if your version does not support your camera, while one can also get a Windows XP system level NEF tool from Microsoft that will display your NEF files in the file browser and desktop etc.

Stephen Marsh

members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx
    prepression.blogspot.com