need tips for actor/model headshots

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Technique
hello, I really don't know much about this, well nothing actually! I know we have people here that do this type of thing, so I need a few pointers.

I am shooting a family, and the mom asked if I could do some of her husband. I told I her I had never done them but I would do some research and give it a try as long as I am already there, no charge on them unless he wants to buy them.
Divamum comes to mind....I'll begin by looking at old posts that I recall seeing here.

Thanks in advance~
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    hello, I really don't know much about this, well nothing actually! I know we have people here that do this type of thing, so I need a few pointers.

I am shooting a family, and the mom asked if I could do some of her husband. I told I her I had never done them but I would do some research and give it a try as long as I am already there, no charge on them unless he wants to buy them.
    Divamum comes to mind....I'll begin by looking at old posts that I recall seeing here.

Thanks in advance~

OK, the shoot is tomorrow AM, I'll just wing it !!headscratch.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Sorry - up to my eyes all day and night (yes, it is 2am on the East Coast, and I' STILL not packed to leave in the morning....eek7.gif)

The two articles linked here are some of the best I've ever seen describing exactly what headshots are trying to achieve - they're written for actors, but the info is entirely relevant to photographers as well.

In general: EYES, EYES, EYES. Sparkly. Engaged. Telling a story. Showing tons of personality. Catchlights are a very good thing :D

Current fashion is for natural light shots - many of the pictures MItchell posts are the kind of style currently popular, often including shallow DOF and interesting angles. 3/4 shots can be good, but headshots these days are often cropped a lot closer than they were in traditional film headshot styles (see the above linked articles for details).

Good luck with it!! thumb.gif

PS Actor headshots and model headshots aren't necessarily quite the same - models need comp cards/Z cards, which (I believe - it's not something I know all that much about) have a headshots, 3/4 and full body shot all on one 8x10 sheet. Look up z card and comp card and you'll probably find quite a lot online.