Selling videos online... looking for SmugMug-like service!

dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
edited February 20, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi y'all. I'm wondering if anyone has used a service/system where they are able to sell videos online. Since the SmugMug/Animoto partnership did not include the ability to sell videos, I'm looking for an easy way to make that happen.

Option 1 - I can create my own website for purchasing videos, and offer digital delivery through Google Checkout. This page is wonderfully helpful, but absurdly daunting. Yuk.

Option 2 - I can find some sort of website that offers video hosting/selling, much like the way that SmugMug offers it for photos. Has anyone used a site like that? Any advice?

Option 3 - I can wait for SmugMug to allow the selling of video files.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. While the Animoto videos make for nice marketing, I'm still looking for a way to make them profitable.
Matt Dudley
Matt Dudley Photography
Nashville child photographer
Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography

Comments

• AnimotoBeckyAnimotoBecky Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Hi Matt,

Let me know if you find a great online alternative to selling the vids. So far we've been hearing from a lot of our users that they kick off proof sessions with clients with an Animoto vid, and sell the vid within that context. Would love to hear how it can be done via the web.

I agree that selling them on SmugMug is imperative.
    duds wrote:
    Hi y'all. I'm wondering if anyone has used a service/system where they are able to sell videos online. Since the SmugMug/Animoto partnership did not include the ability to sell videos, I'm looking for an easy way to make that happen.

Option 1 - I can create my own website for purchasing videos, and offer digital delivery through Google Checkout. This page is wonderfully helpful, but absurdly daunting. Yuk.

Option 2 - I can find some sort of website that offers video hosting/selling, much like the way that SmugMug offers it for photos. Has anyone used a site like that? Any advice?

Option 3 - I can wait for SmugMug to allow the selling of video files.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. While the Animoto videos make for nice marketing, I'm still looking for a way to make them profitable.
    Animoto Pro now has $39 Trial Pricing:
    http://animoto.com/photography/upgrade
    Pro-Exclusive Styles are here:
    http://animoto.com/photography/elegance

• beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I would not hold my breath waiting for SM to offer this type of service any time "soon".
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    You could use paypal and deliver by email/ftp.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    I would not hold my breath waiting for SM to offer this type of service any time "soon".
    Would that be the usual understanding of the word "soon", or the Andy definition of the word? deal.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I too am interested in this. I think this is an area that most video providers haven't started even thinking about. The video space right now is concentrating on advertising and revenue generation and the sharing thereof.

I'd like to see a service for videos that does what itunes did for music. That would be the killer app and make a whole new genre. In fact...something like this would even kill youtube...looks like I just gave away another great idea...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • AnimotoBeckyAnimotoBecky Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Not 100% sure on the timing, but will let you know as soon as I do, regarding the specifics of the expected launch of this feature.
    SamirD wrote:
    I too am interested in this. I think this is an area that most video providers haven't started even thinking about. The video space right now is concentrating on advertising and revenue generation and the sharing thereof.

I'd like to see a service for videos that does what itunes did for music. That would be the killer app and make a whole new genre. In fact...something like this would even kill youtube...looks like I just gave away another great idea...
    Animoto Pro now has $39 Trial Pricing:
    http://animoto.com/photography/upgrade
    Pro-Exclusive Styles are here:
    http://animoto.com/photography/elegance

• dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Not 100% sure on the timing, but will let you know as soon as I do, regarding the specifics of the expected launch of this feature.

Hey Becky.
    Any update on this? ne_nau.gif
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography