Waterfall Wonderland II: Silver Falls State Park

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Landscapes
The Columbia Gorge has an amazing variety and quantity of waterfalls. Less than an hour south there is Silver Falls State Park, which has an amazing set of waterfalls as well, many of which you can walk behind - very cool!

This was my first visit there (last Saturday, the day after I shot the gorge waterfalls), the weather started to clear so I couldn't get as many shots as I wanted, but it's always good to leave a little for next time, and there will definitely be a next time.

#1:

693948413_z4yTj-XL.jpg

#2:

693947232_SZpws-XL.jpg

#3:

693941752_VP4t4-XL.jpg

#4:

693942384_UwJTt-XL.jpg

#5:

693945770_E6PLD-XL.jpg

#6:

693929097_abMYK-XL.jpg

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Ron-
    Beautiful as usual!! My favorites ar e#2 & #6. I really like that foreground in #2.

Stephanie
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    There's always a certain level with your photos so they're all great but I'm really loving #5 & 6. thumb.gif
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Beautiful series of pictures!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    A beautiful set. Two and four are my favorites in this set, been back three times now to look at them.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I like 1, 2 and 3. All well done.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Stunning scenery and gorgeous images.thumb.gif So how long did it take you to arrange the foreground leaves in #2?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    #2 is just awesome! i love that scene, using the leaves as foreground cool!
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I thought the first one would be my favorite but as I kept scrolling each photo was more grand than before.4,5,6 are absolutely gorgeous! I can't decide my favorite bowdown.gif
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    beautiful colors!

thanks for sharing
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Stunning scenery and gorgeous images.thumb.gif So how long did it take you to arrange the foreground leaves in #2?

Cuong

:D

Not that long, most were already in place. There were two leaves on the bottom corners that I removed as they were distracting, and then I arranged the main leaf so that it was angled a little more. I knew I wanted the rock in the bottom right and the falls in the upper left and just fit the leaves in around that. The rocks were extremely slick, I had to walk across the creek about 10 feet (I had rubber boots) and used my tripod as a walking stick, as all the leaves were on that side.
    edited October 30, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I definitely recommend this place after you visit the gorge if you're ever near Portland.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    :D

Not that long, most were already in place. There were two leaves on the bottom corners that I removed as they were distracting, and then I arranged the main leaf so that it was angled a little more. I knew I wanted the rock in the bottom right and the falls in the upper left and just fit the leaves in around that. The rocks were extremely slick, I had to walk across the creek about 10 feet (I had rubber boots) and used my tripod as a walking stick, as all the leaves were on that side.

haha..I was going to make saracastic comment about how long it took to arrange those leaves in shot#2. gorgeous shot as usual.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    great stuff, ron. #2, 3, 5, 6 are especially striking. #5 is a single shot (non-hdr), right? good job with the difficult lighting. love the mood. like the mist on 6.

i do have a couple questions tho...

- how did you manage to keep your camera dry standing under the waterfall in #1 (it seems like you were standing nearly right under it).
    - how many miles have you put on your car this year for photos? between the n. cascades, rainier, desert southwest, columbia gorge that i am aware of ... you are a photographing machine!!! :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 31, 2009
    Gorgeous stuff as always, Ron. bowdown.gif Impossible to pick a favorite. ne_nau.gif I really need to get out that way one of these days.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 31, 2009
    dls wrote:
    great stuff, ron. #2, 3, 5, 6 are especially striking. #5 is a single shot (non-hdr), right? good job with the difficult lighting. love the mood. like the mist on 6.

i do have a couple questions tho...

- how did you manage to keep your camera dry standing under the waterfall in #1 (it seems like you were standing nearly right under it).
    - how many miles have you put on your car this year for photos? between the n. cascades, rainier, desert southwest, columbia gorge that i am aware of ... you are a photographing machine!!! :D
    Thanks! Actually #5 is a manual blend of two exposures, so technically it's HDR, but it's not tone-mapped which is what most people associate with HDR.

I've put around 25,000 miles on my cars this year between the short trips in the NW (gorge, Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Olympic National Park), and two trips to Yellowstone/Grand Teton (one of which included a detour to Death Valley), and a week long trip to the Southwest (Utah and Arizona). After the first trip to Yellowstone I basically killed my old (1995) car, the cost of repairs exceeded what the car was worth, and since then I have about 15,000 miles on my new car.

That waterfall (Lower South Falls) wasn't running too strong this time a year so spray wasn't an issue. In the spring I'm sure it would be an issue. I usually have a large cloth to wipe the lens off between shots when spray or rain becomes a problem.

Here's a wider angle shot to give more context:

693951251_NPoVJ-L.jpg

And a video taken behind the falls:

<object height="362" width="640">

<embed src="http://photos.coscorrosa.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkxMTI0MDEzJms9OUtDaGUmYT0xMDA3NDk3M190RlJWYyZ1PWNvc2NvcnJvc2E=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="362" width="640"></object>
    edited October 31, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Gorgeous stuff as always, Ron. bowdown.gif Impossible to pick a favorite. ne_nau.gif I really need to get out that way one of these days.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks, and yes you do! Danny and I woke up and shot the sunrise in the Grand Canyon and made it back to Seattle at midnight the same day driving so what's your excuse? :D