Options

Printed proofs vs online gallery viewing

NensleyNensley Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
In light of the week I've had with a very difficult client, I am rethinking my process here. Is it better to provide printed proofs for the clients to see as opposed to online viewing? We could all sit down with the proofs, and the client could place an order at that time with a written contract signing off on the prints. The only problem with that is that people want to have time to think about it, and I am going to send a proof book home with them. And it sure would waste a lot of paper.

Another thing I thought of was to have the client meet me and see the gallery on my computer, if they choose, to avoid this kind of problem in the future. What do you all think is the best way to handle this?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Nensley wrote:
    Is it better to provide printed proofs for the clients to see as opposed to online viewing?

This depends on you and the client. Seeing a print is different than viewing an online image. Online, the image is backlit, it depends on color calibration, and the size of the image being viewed. A print is a final product.

Personally I would love it if I could get more clients to view and purchase online, but I offer what they want, and 95% of them want to see and hold the proof to make better decisions.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    IMO, presenting proofs eliminates potential problems.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Here are my thoughts on this:

1. Work on your technical skills, white balance, noise, fill flash, skin tones.

2. Try using Bay Photo and opt for their hand done color correction. I can't remember if your monitor is calibrated, but it really needs to be.
    Translating what you see on your computer screen to a physical print that matches is part science and part art. Learn the science and practice the art.

3. You can develop whatever business model that makes you comfortable. If you decide you only want to deliver print proofs, all you need to do is make sure that your pricing covers that.

4. What about a combination? Say include one (or more) 8X10 or 5X7 prints in your package so they can see the printed results you provide. If they are then buying a CD of the images and they don't come out as well as they like you can refer them to your print as a comparison.

If they are buying the prints from you then they will have something in their hands that represents the color and quality they can expect from the images they choose online.

Sam
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    2. Try using Bay Photo and opt for their hand done color correction. I can't remember if your monitor is calibrated, but it really needs to be.
    Translating what you see on your computer screen to a physical print that matches is part science and part art. Learn the science and practice the art.

If they are buying the prints from you then they will have something in their hands that represents the color and quality they can expect from the images they choose online.

Color calibration is absolutely necessary for the photographer, but most clients have no understanding of the concept and don't care.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    If you are worried about wasting paper, why not provide them a digital proof book. I think it was Art that told me about this program called Flip Album. If you download that program you can create a photoalbum on a DVD or CD that would come complete with turnable pages, and copy protected files so no one could just download the pictures to their computer.

I do agree though, color corrected photographs are key. If you have nice wedding pictures with a blue tint to the originally white dress, that's not going to look good to the bride and groom.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout