Shipwreck

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited October 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Came across this eerie scene while strolling the beach in Santa Barbara.

696747341_bCH7i-L.jpg

Its registry is Marina Del Rey, 100 miles to the south. Left wondering if it broke loose of its moorings and drifted up the coast?

696747326_6C8pb-L.jpg

comments appreciated and encouraged :D

Comments

• yaesumofoyaesumofo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2009
    I see these from time to time right outside (just south) of Marina Del Rey, After BIG waves, the boats which moore just outside the marina, some times loose the fight with mother nature like this one (your shot) did.

I am the kind of guy who wants to see more of the boat with the surf and beach shown as backround. I bet that if you got close you saw that much of the boat was under sand. sort of sinking in the sand. I try to capture this when I see it.
    I like your shots but that have missed MY preference mark.

Take care.
    Yaesumofo
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    What a find Angelo :D

I like both shots as they make my eyes wonder around the photo checking out the surroundings. Almost expecting to see a guy running down the beach to his boat. Poor guy who's looking for it.

Two things I like the best -- you posted one in color and one in bw. And...you didn't straighten out the horizon in the second photo. I know from my times at the shore the horizon naturally curves.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    snip…
    And...you didn't straighten out the horizon in the second photo. I know from my times at the shore the horizon naturally curves.

Yeah, but you gotta be real careful to get it level, else all the water will drain out on to your desk, which is a bummer…

…an' anyway, everyone knows that really The Earth is FLAT! You only have to look outside… (especially if you live in Holland…)

To the OP: Great subject, especially in B&W! Did you take any more? I think the ones with the sea as background rather than the busy land are better. In my view, high contrast B&W always gives a sense of stark reality (rather than soft & gloomy, which always reminds me of stale developer… :D )

Nice subject! (shame the boat isn't older and wooden)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Yeah, but you gotta be real careful to get it level, else all the water will drain out on to your desk, which is a bummer…
    - Wil

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
    Both good shots, Angelo. The color one has a surreal quality to the light that is especially good. thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
    thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback.

Yaesumofo:
    I do have a couple other shots but I went a bit too abstract and I'm not pleased with them but I think it's clear the boat is almost half buried in sand - that may just be my perception because I was there
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
    OK, so I gave this another shot:

Here's #2 reworked a bit:

697412594_jbHmr-L.jpg

and here's one of the shots I didn't love in 2 versions:

697412613_gVYat-L.jpg

697412569_obBYc-L.jpg

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ah! Nice job…

I think I prefer the last two; colour is good, and with more contrast the B&W could be even more striking. I think the composition is better, in that it's more in my face, i.e. makes me feel I'm there. Still worried about the sea spilling out in the earlier one though… eek7.gif

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Angelo,

For me, I like the next to the last image best thumb.gif
    Randy