Onboard video vs. dedicated card

pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited October 30, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I'm starting to look for a new computer, and found one that seems to have everything I think I need. In its base configuration, it has onboard video. From a purely photo processing standpoint, is there any benefit to upgrading to a dedicated video card?

Comments

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    pickerbw wrote:
    I'm starting to look for a new computer, and found one that seems to have everything I think I need. In its base configuration, it has onboard video. From a purely photo processing standpoint, is there any benefit to upgrading to a dedicated video card?

The first thing onboard video may limit you to is maximum resolution support. Make sure it can handle the monitor/resolution you want to run at. Integrated video may also be missing the connection type you prefer (will you use VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc?) I am not sure if PS or other 2D apps utilize gpu processor power much, but it's a good initial thing to consider.

Also, consider the amount of RAM being used. Integrated video often shares system memory, which will take away from your OS and apps. A dedicated card will allow the system to hand off all the work to the card, which will matter more for large files.

BUT...if you want to save $$$$, it doesn't hurt to try the integrated and see if it is acceptable for you. If not, then buy the card later.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    PS CS3 and forward will use the GPU. Few other applications do at this point but that will change in the future.

I'd agree with the previous suggestion of buying the computer and seeing if you find the onboard video limiting. If so, it's very inexpensive and easy to upgrade. If not, you're set.
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the way to go is try out the onboard video, and upgrade if necessary. My current desktop is 5 yrs old, so anything is better than what I have now!