Options

MotoGP

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited July 28, 2005 in Sports
Well, I was shooting MotoGP at Laguna Seca this past weekend. I'll share a few during the week. A big humbling moment for me was being only 1 of 10 accredited photogs from the US allowed to shoot the grid and podium. It was all rather overwhelming...

In no particular order will they appear this week....

edwards1_motogp_laguna.jpg

nh_motogp_lagunaseca2.jpg

rossi_grid_motogp_laguna.jpg
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    rossi_grid_motogp_laguna.jpg
    Pit babes, Andrew. More pit babes. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 12, 2005
    Nice work there Andrew!

Almost went down Sunday. But then the traffic reports (from those waiting to get
    in) were horrific. So I stayed home and watched Speed Channel :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Fantastic photos nearly as good as mine from Darley Moor :D just wait till i go to the Britsh GP:D
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Pit babes, Andrew. More pit babes. :)
    No, more Valentinoiloveyou.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    edwardsrossi_motogp_laguna.jpg

Andrew :)

• Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Very nice shots indeed. I'd love your job....I love motorsports. Especially F1 and Moto GP.

That last shot of them coming around the corner is great!

• Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Thank you!

Here's a few more......

hopkins3_motogp_laguna.jpg
    ::
    edwards2_motogp_laguna.jpg
    ::
    ellison1_motogp_laguna.jpg

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Superb as always andrew. Mate this panning has me stumped....do you use a tripod/monopod or is there any particular shutter speed that you happily hand hold at ?

I will be using my 400 prime f/5.6

I have a very rare opportunity next week to shoot these guys with a media pass (awaiting confirmation but im told the media pass looks good atm) & i dont want to blow it. They are our premier race cars here ... similar to your nascar series

Rgds
    Gus
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Great work as always..
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Superb as always andrew. Mate this panning has me stumped....do you use a tripod/monopod or is there any particular shutter speed that you happily hand hold at ?

I will be using my 400 prime f/5.6
    Welll I guess it depends on the subject/light and where you're standing.

For the Nicky Hayden shot and a few others that I haven't uploaded, I was shootin/panning at 1/160 and between f11 and f14 depending on where I was.

I rarely bother with a monopod only becuase I find them restrictive, although I think my shoulder might thank me sometimes if I did use one. But for panning I think they're more of a hinderence.

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    I am not interested really in rally shots like this, but hey, those are great.
    You managed to get my attention firmly and I kept looking at them.
    I love the one with the yellow lad and the crowd behind him.
    Your photographs are stunningly sharp. (envy, envy...)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 14, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    Welll I guess it depends on the subject/light and where you're standing.

For the Nicky Hayden shot and a few others that I haven't uploaded, I was shootin/panning at 1/160 and between f11 and f14 depending on where I was.

I rarely bother with a monopod only becuase I find them restrictive, although I think my shoulder might thank me sometimes if I did use one. But for panning I think they're more of a hinderence.

You shoot with the 300/f2.8, if I recall correctly. Yeah, that one is nice and light.
    I could see hand holding that one.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Gus, I would shoot in Tv mode and start at a shutter speed of 1/640. This is slow enough to get a hint of tire blur, but fast enough to be relatively easy to shoot at. You will get a lot of keepers this way. I would pick an ISO that gives me an aperture of 8-13.

Now, after you have your easy keepers, drop to 1/400. As you know, you will need to follow and pan as you click the shutter. Every 50-100 shots I would drop the shutter down again. 1/320, 1/250, 1/160. If you had an IS lens, I'd also use IS mode 2.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks andrew & merc.Great info. I was going to buy a mono but will give it a go without. Also i didnt think about setting the shutter at a set speed.

I would expect its hard without experience to quickly tell if the sight in front req high or low f stop for effect with a race car.

gus
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Gus, I would shoot in Tv mode and start at a shutter speed of 1/640. This is slow enough to get a hint of tire blur, but fast enough to be relatively easy to shoot at. You will get a lot of keepers this way. I would pick an ISO that gives me an aperture of 8-13.

Now, after you have your easy keepers, drop to 1/400. As you know, you will need to follow and pan as you click the shutter. Every 50-100 shots I would drop the shutter down again. 1/320, 1/250, 1/160. If you had an IS lens, I'd also use IS mode 2.
    Merc 2 questions if you dont mind...why would you pick an aperture of 8-13 ? I would have thought a more blurred (bokah blur i mean) background would be better with me using the 400 prime at its max of f/5.6 ?

Also when you mention following in the pan...would you recommend shooting rapid fire or just one shot at a time ?

I think its just hard for me to get my head around shooting a fast moving sport & keeping a slowish shutter for effect.

Thanks
    Gus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Gus, you don't need bokeh (background blur produced by a wide open lens aperature.) You make your background blur by panning the camera.

I imagine these guys use a small aperature for a couple of reasons. One, it was bright and sunny at Laguna Seca and you need some help getting a slow shutter speed in that bright light. And two, with a deeper depth of field you have a better chance of getting your subject in focus as you pan.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Gus, you don't need bokeh (background blur produced by a wide open lens aperature.) You make your background blur by panning the camera.

I imagine these guys use a small aperature for a couple of reasons. One, it was bright and sunny at Laguna Seca and you need some help getting a slow shutter speed in that bright light. And two, with a deeper depth of field you have a better chance of getting your subject in focus as you pan.

Tks sid...that has actually explained a bit to me. Hoping this week-end will get me out of the low spot im in at the moment photo wise.

Ive been searching the net for good moto shots & checking their shutters speeds/apertures etc so im off on the right foot.

Just found out that i cant sell any shots if i happen to score a good one...the teams/ruling body wont allow it. You have to be a fully credited photog with them, which is fair enough by me..they have a lot of potential money in this & im a guest photog for the day.

Gus
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Don't look at mine then:D
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks sid...that has actually explained a bit to me. Hoping this week-end will get me out of the low spot im in at the moment photo wise.

Ive been searching the net for good moto shots & checking their shutters speeds/apertures etc so im off on the right foot.

Just found out that i cant sell any shots if i happen to score a good one...the teams/ruling body wont allow it. You have to be a fully credited photog with them, which is fair enough by me..they have a lot of potential money in this & im a guest photog for the day.

Gus
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Merc 2 questions if you dont mind...why would you pick an aperture of 8-13 ? I would have thought a more blurred (bokah blur i mean) background would be better with me using the 400 prime at its max of f/5.6 ?

Also when you mention following in the pan...would you recommend shooting rapid fire or just one shot at a time?
    Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get an email notification of your post. As per the aperture, you need to remember that with telephotos your depth of field gets rather small rather fast. You don't want a DOF so shallow that the entire car is not all in focus. Plus I'm usually shooting at a shutter speed slow enough that it requires I pan with the car. Thus, even if the background were in focus, it will be blurred in a horizontal direction. And lastly, bokeh is a blur in two directions, whereas panning is a blur in only one direction, and you can tell the difference.

So, the smaller aperture makes sure that all the car is in focus, and can actually help if the auto-focus is a touch off. Plus the panning blurs that background anyway.

As per panning, I almost always take only one shot. Sometimes two, but that is usually by accident. I always have the motor drive turned on in case of a spin. But I shoot one shot at a time. Wait until the shot you want develops, then hit the shutter. If you machine-gun a race you actually stand a very good chance of missing the shot you want.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    Thanks for your time here bill...all taken on board. Cant wait to see what i get.

Gus
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    Hey Hu..

Just as an example, this shot is at 1/250:f13 and shot with a 70-200 f2.8 with the IS switch set to "2"...

Notice the foreground and the background are both blurred horizontally..

bayliss2_motogp.jpg

• Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    Thats a good pan andrew thumb.gif Im starting to get this all worked out even if it is just a little....been doing a lot of seaching /googling on it.

I had never really stopped to think of the work behind a shot like that & how many shots you bloke must blow.

Im stoked up over this race coming up. I just got informed that i get a full media pass (with my name on it !!) Annnnd a 'Photographers Bib' with access to areas the public cant. I hope i get some keepers.

Found some more shots of the track & cars.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    bayliss2_motogp.jpg

Notice how crisp the horizontal edges are (such as the lettering, or the rails in the grandstands), and how blurry the vertical edges are. This is why a blur induced by panning looks much different than a blur induced by large apertures. And it is what gives the feel of motion in a particular direction.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    yelrotflmao.gif

I have finally added a "small" sampling of the MotoGP weekend to my site.....

Next up - Mid Ohio!

Stop by and find me and say HI if you're out there...(i don't bite)

• Options
    edited July 27, 2005
    seteart.jpg

• Options
    edited July 28, 2005
    Love that Troy Bayliss shot! Very well done. Love the Sete shot too!