Alien like pods - Autumn foliage

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I guess this might be considered 'fall foliage'. I have no idea what it is; just always seen them in the woods. The white hair is wondrous but the ponds that they are coming out of is weird!

693218550_vMazp-XL.jpg

693235974_QxQ82-L.jpg

693308639_miUPa-L.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Hi Eia,

I like how you have isolated the subjects in these shots. I don't know what these plants are either, but you're right.....they are all over in the woods.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I think these are Milkweed. I shot some too, while in Maine, but I don't think they're as nice as yours. They do make interesting subjects. I like yours very much, Eia--nice colors and focus on the subject. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ooooooohhhhhh. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Eia,

Those are strange. I like the last one you posted the best. I can get a better look at all that fine detail.
    Randy
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 30, 2009
    These bring to mind some Dali paintings I saw this morning. Great detail, color and bokeh. thumb.gif
    edited October 30, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I think these are Milkweed. I shot some too, while in Maine, but I don't think they're as nice as yours. They do make interesting subjects. I like yours very much, Eia--nice colors and focus on the subject. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren

Ah yes, maybe that is what they are! They fascinate me. Thank you for your kind words!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Yep they are milkweed. Tons of them up here.

You got a really good photo of one and a bug to boot thumb.gif
    edited October 30, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    These bring to mind some Dali paintings I saw this morning. Great detail, color and bokeh. thumb.gif

Thanks much for the comment; hmmm...Dali huh? mwink.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 31, 2009
    Yep, Milkweed. We had them all over the place in Mass where I grew up. If you squeeze those pods, a sticky milky substance will come out. That's how it gets its name.

Really great shots, Eia. Nice comps, great bokehs, and excellent sharpness on the subjects. Great job! thumb.gif

-joel
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    You did a great job on these pic. Eia..... I saw a lot of milkweed in Indiana and shot pictures of them there ....They make a great subject to shoot.....azzaro
    edited October 31, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Yep, Milkweed. We had them all over the place in Mass where I grew up. If you squeeze those pods, a sticky milky substance will come out. That's how it gets its name.

Really great shots, Eia. Nice comps, great bokehs, and excellent sharpness on the subjects. Great job! thumb.gif

-joel

Gee - thanks for your kind words but thanks for the affirmation re milkweed! I think I could have stayed there for the afternoon shooting them. The silly bug would not cooperate though; he needed to sit still or go away but when I tried to shoo him he didn't like it much.
    edited October 31, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    You did a great job on these pic. Eia..... I saw a lot of milkweed in Indiana and shot pictures of them there ....They make a great subject to shoot.....azzaro

I wonder how far west they go? Yes, they absolutely fascinate me! One could do alot with these photographically speaking! mwink.gif
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I wonder how far west they go? Yes, they absolutely fascinate me! One could do alot with these photographically speaking! mwink.gif

I've shot them in Northern California and we saw several varieties in Africa so the answer for how far west they go is all the way? :)

They have a milky white sap similar to euphorbias.
    The little bug looks to be one commonly found on milkweeds, I found a page about them here http://insected.arizona.edu/milkinfo.htm
    edited November 1, 2009
    captnemo wrote:
    I've shot them in Northern California and we saw several varieties in Africa so the answer for how far west they go is all the way? :)

The little bug looks to be one commonly found on milkweeds, I found a page about them here http://insected.arizona.edu/milkinfo.htm

Hey - I really appreciate the info!!! Interesting; I'm glad the bugs control the population of the milkweed; as is they are everywhere. My husband suggested that it was probably a bug just for this plant! And - thanks for teh comment- truly appreciate it! :D
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Eia wrote:

I shot some a couple weeks ago along the valley floor in Yosemite National Park. If they went much further west, they'd be swimming in the ocean. :D

Nice captures.
    edited November 6, 2009
    captnemo wrote:

Interesting link on the milkweed bug. We have a lot of those plants around here, but I've never seen a bug on them. Now I'll be looking for them :D
    edited November 6, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Interesting link on the milkweed bug. We have a lot of those plants around here, but I've never seen a bug on them. Now I'll be looking for them :D

I have to admit that I wanted him out of the picture if he would not sit still so I tried to pick him up - but - he sort of stuck to the plant so I gave up. I put my hand up to the camera and it was then I smelled something. It was on my fingers. I tried to pick him up again and then smelled that odor stronger on my fingers; he left a pungent smell. rolleyes1.gif I can't say it was a bad smell - just strong and different. Glad no one was around; they would have thought I was really weird smelling my fingers! eek7.gif
    edited November 6, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I have to admit that I wanted him out of the picture if he would not sit still so I tried to pick him up - but - he sort of stuck to the plant so I gave up. I put my hand up to the camera and it was then I smelled something. It was on my fingers. I tried to pick him up again and then smelled that odor stronger on my fingers; he left a pungent smell. rolleyes1.gif I can't say it was a bad smell - just strong and different. Glad no one was around; they would have thought I was really weird smelling my fingers! eek7.gif

Glad you told me they stink -- I won't touch one now. I'll pass that job off to the hubby rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif