Post an old and a new picture!

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 30, 2009 in People
I know the wedding forum has a thread (and i loved looking through it because it boosts my morale :D), so I thought we'd have one here too: show one People picture you took in your first days as a photographer and another from your recent shoot. I'm sure we'd love to see how we each have progressed technically and (maybe) stylistically.

And I'll participate soon as I get home.

Ok. Set. Go.

:)

Comments

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Great Idea! I've been thinking about this as well....i need to do some digging......
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ok, this one's from last year, Spring semester, for a photography project. I had just gotten my first dslr. My idea of pp then was boosting saturation in Lightroom (notice the blue sleeve sticking out by her hand, which I thought was pretty cool) and maxing clarity.

697455766_J97UZ-L.jpg

---

This next one is from a couple of days ago for a TFCD with a 580EX in a softbox and one hour in Photoshop (exported from Lightroom). Next thing for me is learning to use something for a hair light.

697483832_HCeEh-L.jpg
  • Moogs12Moogs12 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2009
    I am new, but I will play
    Here is my comparison...

2 years ago...

Christmas_0061.jpg

A couple weeks ago...

IMG_0549.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ok, this one's from last year
    …snip

This next one is from a couple of days ago for a TFCD with a 580EX in a softbox and one hour in Photoshop (exported from Lightroom). Next thing for me is learning to use something for a hair light.

…snip

Good grief! That is very impressive!

Like Night & Day!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ok I want to play too.

1st image was taken back in 2005. 1st dslr was a nikon D70s. Did a shoot for a mortgage company.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=273&g2_serialNumber=1

These are a couple of recent shots. My pregnant wifey. Shot with a Nikon D300.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=277&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=279&g2_serialNumber=1
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
    edited October 30, 2009
    Moogs12 wrote:
    Here is my comparison...

That natural light and bokeh are yummy.
    gmonkeh wrote:
    This is one of my more recent shots. My pregnant wifey.
    Oh man, LOVE the style change.
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Like Night & Day!
    <dances the cabbage patch> Go, me!

Thanks, Wil <3
    edited October 30, 2009
    gmonkeh wrote:
    Ok I want to play too.

1st image was taken back in 2005. 1st dslr was a nikon D70s. Did a shoot for a mortgage company.

…snip

These are a couple of recent shots. My pregnant wifey. Shot with a Nikon D300.

…snip

…snip

Wow, I feel totally outclassed here… (BTW - gmonkeh, #2 - the expression seems to say it all… mwink.gif )

Great variation in style… …pretty impressive.

I've been digging back through the past 40+ years of stuff, and it's not so much that it all looks the same, but there really isn't a great of variation! (truly humbling… bowdown.gif )

…ah, well - back to the digging…

- Wil
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Great idea Marikis!

Ok so this was my standard snap shot--"look at me and say cheese" shot from above, no attention to lighting, always always ALWAYS posed.

This was shot in May 09 on Auto mode:)
    552329410_RqJos-XL-3.jpg

Now I try to capture moments in life, more PJ style, a real moment as opposed to say cheese. This was taken at the beg of this month.
    668904128_JKjB3-XL.jpg

Got a very long way to go still.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 30, 2009
    OK, here we go:

1970s:
    555852578_uk6BE-S-4.jpg

slice, cut, hack, chop…

(starts hunt for recent people pics…)

and still looking for something pre-1970s…

Later: OK, found some from 1968 (posted last year after the sad death of an old school friend…)

pics of Sam

- Wil
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ahh Wil lol you've fried my brain. I realize this is going to be hard for you long time photogs to narrow it down to two *people* pictures, but you can do it :D (And here I thought *I* had a lot in my computer -_-)

I can see what you mean by your style being pretty consistent, though, which is not at all a bad thing! I'm seriously digging the film. There's just something inherently nostalgic with that medium.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ok here's my two... there's not much of a time gap but I still see a huge difference in my work from when I first started

1. this was back in March, when I bought my first dslr..I was so excited about this when I took it, lol...
    697713169_dXKfo-L.jpg

2. one of my recent favorites:
    670381752_zwAAN-L.jpg
    edited October 30, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ahh Wil lol you've fried my brain. I realize this is going to be hard for you long time photogs to narrow it down to two *people* pictures, but you can do it :D (And here I thought *I* had a lot in my computer -_-)

I can see what you mean by your style being pretty consistent, though, which is not at all a bad thing! I'm seriously digging the film. There's just something inherently nostalgic with that medium.

Whoop! Sorry, I got a bit carried away…

(grabs machete… heads into archive… )

- Wil

PS: send search party if not home by dark! eek7.gif
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    This thread caused me to go back into the archives. I didn't have to go back very far. The first picture was taken December of last year. These other two were taken a week apart within the path month. We're looking at about 10 months difference. As always, still learning and shootin' away. Still lots o' room for improvement. :)

We're looking at the same uncle, same camera, different babies. My cousin and I each had our children within 6 months of each other.

Dec 2008
    697734195_Cmtk3-L.jpg

Oct 2009
    697734125_Do8Ad-L.jpg

Oct 2009
    697734231_Fj4yW-L.jpg

Oct 2009 - This is not your standard treatment for babies. But I was playing with a snoot flash modifier and came up with something that I think is pretty cool.
    697734252_MHcVZ-L.jpg
    Tom Parker