Options

Judge my 1st street portrait

narancsnarancs Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited November 1, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Here it is
4056024406_25302e37be_o.jpg

excuses: it was cold, really cold. And the sun went down in lik 5 minutes. test pic's were shot @ iso200 and looked great, this one about 5 mins later @ 800 and looked dark.. :rolleyes
anyways, comment it please.

oh, the bookeh didn't look nice enough so I modified it with alien skin software: bokeh. Isn't it over the top a bit?
Peter G.

I'm using a Nikon D40 with the kit lens.. :rolleyes

Comments

• Options
    jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I don't think its too dark.I like it alot
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:
    thanks!
    Peter G.

• Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    the exposure is okay but the colors are pretty blah. I think BW is apprpriate here. Even then she is bit expression less.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    the exposure is okay but the colors are pretty blah. I think BW is apprpriate here. Even then she is bit expression less.
    good call, I give it a try thumb.gif
    Peter G.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    I dunno ne_nau.gif
    DSC_8730bwsmall.jpg
    Peter G.

• Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Definitely the colour version thumb.gif
    Whilst the colours are muted rather than vibrant I think that they work in this instance.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I like the color version myself, but I think it'd grab me a bit more if you brightened the eyes a bit.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    What makes this a street portrait? Except for the lights in the BG, there is nothing going on here, no story, just a pretty girl.
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    I was not going to say it, but...Shouldn't this be in People?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I was not going to say it, but...Shouldn't this be in People?

Not if you want a critique from B.D.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Also not really sure how this is street stuff.

Might be my personal preferences, but maybe try balancing the ambient with the flash a bit more?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 31, 2009
    There have been a number of submissions that are probably better placed elsewhere. For the time being, I am not going to intervene much, as I prefer discussions of photography to arguments about how Dgrin should be organized. After we have been in business for a few months, we'll look at the question again. deal.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Not if you want a critique from B.D.

Well, forgive me
    - but Sara's absolutely correct - this belongs in People; it's a simply a posed photo of a young woman. Without making any comment about it - why is it in this forum? I know we are still debating what should be here - what is a street photo, etc, etc, etc. But I think it's pretty obvious what shouldn't be: not only isn't this a "street photo," it's not even an environmental portrait.
    What I find fascinating, frankly, are the previous responses to it - this got more comments, faster, than some quite interesting streetish submissions.
    :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    I like the bw verson better, first because I like the lights that came through in the conversion, expecially the way they angle down and light up a sidewalk. Second because, where there is a lack of a lot of color in the original, in the bw you just substitute contrast, and so now the image really pops.

Perhaps should have been in People, but no problem here for me.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, forgive me
    - but Sara's absolutely correct - this belongs in People; it's a simply a posed photo of a yooung woman. Without making any comment about it - why is it in this forum? I know we are still debating what should be here - what is a street photo, etc, etc, etc. But I think it's pretty obvious what shouldn't be: not only isn't this a "street photo," it's not even an environmental portrait.
    What I find fascinating, frankly, are the previous responses to it - this got more comments, faster, than some quite interesting streetish submissions.
    Thank you, thank you and, on the last comment, for christ's sake thank you. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    Well, it is a street portrait bc it was shot on the street? eek7.gif
    As I stated the 1st post its dark, not the girl, the background. On the test shots you can see the sdiewalk, lamps, trees etc.
    But I see your point.

Edit: did a litle research I think I missed the point of a street photography. Its a simple portrait. Sorry
    At least I know what to do next time :)
    Peter G.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    Might be my personal preferences, but maybe try balancing the ambient with the flash a bit more?
    what do you mean?

1/25 @ iso 800, f5.6@55mm (kit lens) and the flash was set to TTL and I believe on full power.
    Or did you mean flash the background with a 2. flash?
    Peter G.

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    narancs wrote:
    what do you mean?

1/25 @ iso 800, f5.6@55mm (kit lens) and the flash was set to TTL and I believe on full power.

You're going to find a larger group of people that can help with flash techniques in the People forum (not that they don't frequent this forum as well.)

I'm curious about something between the colour and B&W versions. Why the heart shapes in the lights in colour and just lights in B&W?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm curious about something between the colour and B&W versions. Why the heart shapes in the lights in colour and just lights in B&W?
    The OP admitted to altering the bokeh in his first post.
    Travis
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    The OP admitted to altering the bokeh in his first post.

Looking back, yeah I see that. But no mention of adding hearts or is that seriously an option of the software the OP mentioned?
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    narancs wrote:
    what do you mean?

Well, see, the shot may be a "street shot" and there are a few elements in the background, but what it really seems like is basically a face, properly exposed, peeking out of the black.

What I mean is to rely less on the flash, and instead use manual exposure mode, with a slower shutter speed and wider aperture to expose more of the background, (probably bump the ISO up a bit since I'm guessing your lens was wide open) and this in turn will require less flash of course, probably handled automatically via the TTL system of your camera. You'll get a lot more of the environment this way. The shot just sorta seems rather, automated to me.
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Looking back, yeah I see that. But no mention of adding hearts or is that seriously an option of the software the OP mentioned?

Yes, with AlienSkin Bokeh you can choose lots of "interesting" bokeh shapes, like hearts. :D

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Yes, as Tina said, you can give the bokeh a hearth, circle or the usual polygon form (triangles, quad 5,6...)
    Peter G.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    Well, see, the shot may be a "street shot" and there are a few elements in the background, but what it really seems like is basically a face, properly exposed, peeking out of the black.

What I mean is to rely less on the flash, and instead use manual exposure mode, with a slower shutter speed and wider aperture to expose more of the background, (probably bump the ISO up a bit since I'm guessing your lens was wide open) and this in turn will require less flash of course, probably handled automatically via the TTL system of your camera. You'll get a lot more of the environment this way. The shot just sorta seems rather, automated to me.

I thought so..
    Damn Sun went down quicker than I expected, and my camera isn't quite useful above iso 400 (I used 800..) and any slower shutter speed (I used 1/25) would cause blur. This is all I could do ne_nau.gif
    Peter G.

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    narancs wrote:
    Well, it is a street portrait bc it was shot on the street? eek7.gif
    As I stated the 1st post its dark, not the girl, the background. On the test shots you can see the sdiewalk, lamps, trees etc.
    But I see your point.

Edit: did a litle research I think I missed the point of a street photography. Its a simple portrait. Sorry
    At least I know what to do next time :)

Don't be sorry. It's been said that we learn more from our mistakes than from what we do right.
    Besides, it initiated more conversation RE street photography.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    narancs wrote:
    I thought so..
    Damn Sun went down quicker than I expected, and my camera isn't quite useful above iso 400 (I used 800..) and any slower shutter speed (I used 1/25) would cause blur. This is all I could do ne_nau.gif

Well, you did the best you could in a difficult situation. However, experiment with really slow shutter speeds and flash anyway. Set your flash to rear sync (will generally keep blur more natural) and even if part of the photo is a bit blurry, the parts illuminated by the flash will be very sharp, due to the nearly instantaneous duration of the flash. I've stopped moving fan blades with very slow shutter speeds, simply by using the flash. Give this a try if you can, I think it will amaze you.

The only thing is, if you use rear sync flash, there will be two flashes, a "monitor pre-flash" and the main flash at the end of the shot. Warn your subject that the photo isn't over until the second flash.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, forgive me
    - but Sara's absolutely correct - this belongs in People; it's a simply a posed photo of a yooung woman. Without making any comment about it - why is it in this forum? I know we are still debating what should be here - what is a street photo, etc, etc, etc. But I think it's pretty obvious what shouldn't be: not only isn't this a "street photo," it's not even an environmental portrait.

I agree.

I think if I wanted BD's thoughts on a portraiture of mine, I'd PM him a request and a link????

I'm still trying the waters on this genre and think that I'm beggining to grasp it and feel that the above photo, IMO, is clearly in the wrong forum.... If it were in people; I'd have posted a comment when I first opened this thread, when there weren't any responses. ne_nau.gif