A question about Professionalism and/or trust for portraits

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited November 1, 2009 in Technique
So I've been on a portrait tutorial DVD kick lately and I noticed the photographer in the DVD said something that surprised me after reading something from Mr. McNally.

Joe McNally said in "The Moment It Clicks" that a mentor he knew used to pretend there was loose hair or fuzz on the subject, and make it seem like the photographer was obsessively worried about how the subject looked. So he would pretend to take care of those little details and it fostered a trust in the subject because in their mind they're thinking "This guy wants me to look good."

But this guy in the DVD (Talented, but let's face it, he's not McNally) says that he NEVER touches his subject to remove hair or anything, even if he knows them really well, because of professionalism. He says that "There are some guys out there that look a little too long, they touch too long, they linger, or they grope." A complete opposite of the extreme, basically saying guys with cameras are pervs sometimes.

So my question is, what do you portrait shooters think? While McNally knows his stuff, the other guy does have a bit of a point. I mean it's one thing to be a lecherous guy with a camera. But cleaning fly away hair, loose hair, fuzz, etc isn't exactly Zero Tolerance material.
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Female view
    I always ask if it's ok to do that. I lead people to the mirror just off the shooting room and say do you see anything you don't want to see in your photo? I ask kids and parents when it's both. I have never been told no.

It also means you have to read the subject. You can tell a lot by loooking. Always tell them why you need to touch them. I tell them I want to move bangs out of eyes, or fix a turned collar. Sometimes it's a necklace that the clasp is turned. Just tell why you want to straighten a collar...etc.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Electronic surveillance that's coupled with audio..... For everyones peace of mind. thumb.gif Then copy the file to a DVD and toss it into the clients file.

If something needs to be done on set, I move too do it - but only after asking for permission. It's pretty much a given that something will need addressing during a shoot and IMO its best to get it out of the way asap, so the sitter doesn't break away from the mood of the shoot ----> Stops and starts, I don't care for.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    I think both men (pretty much guaranteed) and woman are immediately more comfortable with a woman doing the touching / arranging.

Use basic common sense, and read the client. Be polite and p[professional. ALWAYS ask and tell them why your doing what your doing. If possible when shooting woman (for male photographers especially) see if they can bring a friend to help with makeup, posing, etc. The friend is not for the clients protection............it's for yours!

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2009
    I think the circumstances may be quite different for Joe shooting in a large setting with dozens of other shooters, assistants, make up people etc all being present and witnessing the transactions, and the fact that professional models may have worked with Joe several times in the past, and understand the nature of the shoot and its desired goals.

While a single sole shooter, alone in a dark studio with a nervous subject ( male or female ), is much more likely to have the subject misunderstand their intent, even if it is entirely innocent. Once those concerns surface, they are very hard to dispel or prove incorrect.

The circumstances are so different it I can understand why there might be little concern in the first situation, and quite a bit in the second. Without witnesses, society will tend to give more credence to the clients allegations.

Asking permission is always a good thing to do.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    You can see what region I shoot in.

I LIKE to remember to ask, but often forget before approaching...Sometimes even reaching , then having to retract and ask, before going ahead after given permission.

The bigger picture for me, is knowing who I am in intimate quarters with. It may seem absurd, but I've never done a family shoot without first meeting the children and at least one parent, days before the shoot or agreement to shoot.

I enjoy a good relationship with many females that I work with or around that want boudoir photos. Many of those despite the stereotypes, are decidedly conservative. I always meet with them in private well beforehand to ensure they've thought the shoot through, or we talk and walk it thru via visual suggestion, asking and answering questions. No one may do this or agree with my methods...I just find trust such a huge issue...

And...by the time I get to the shoot of a scantily clad or disrobed female, touching is a non-issue....I don't usually need to touch...much less likely without clothes due to less crap to tend to...but if I do touch or need to, it is more akin to We are touching versus I am touching...I try to maintain an atmosphere that "We" are engaged together in the effort.
    tom wise