Options

Borrowed a Leica M6 TTL 0.85

Comments

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    ReeRay wrote:
    Forgot to say - here's a sample of my scans here

http://reeray.smugmug.com/Travel/Around-the-World/9831215_DDMrv#668201241_qznNA

And here

http://reeray.smugmug.com/Photography/English-Memory/9824842_rWPND#668555014_Uh2yX

All shot 20 something years ago and recently scanned so some pretty old slides believe me!
    Those aren't old! I have slides taken by my aunt for the late 1930's through into the 1950's. Here is one that I scanned for a different purpose in 2004 that was taken in 1949. The scanner is a Microtek ScanMaker V6USL with 35mm film/slide adapter (one of the first scanners with a USB connection).

Hope you get to see my doll whose wedding gown was a Christmas present in 1949 as it has been a very long time since I tried to attach a file and I had a time getting this resaved to a size that would upload!

Jane B.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    How giddy am I? My Summilux 35mm ASPH is on its way to me from our very own B D Colen who was kind enough to let me take it off his hands. What a great way to kick off my Leica career.
  • Options
    ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    How giddy am I? My Summilux 35mm ASPH is on its way to me from our very own B D Colen who was kind enough to let me take it off his hands. What a great way to kick off my Leica career.
    You see - if you're a good boy Santa does listen ! :D
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Molsondog wrote:
    Excellent! Superb choice.

Is this the f/2 or the f/1.4 version?

Summiluxes are f/1.4. Summicrons are f/2. They have a funny naming scheme, don't they? Either would be fine, but I think this is the one I really wanted, truth be told. it's the same one as in my first photo on this thread, just a lot less mint, as B. D. has used it for the last ten years, doing real work.

742499429_TsKHA-L-1.jpg

742499206_xGgZF-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I have way too many photos of my kids, whom I don't like to lay bare on the forums too much and haven't been let out into the daylight much, so I gotta get out there this weekend. The pier is often a good place for unleashing a new lens.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    In other news, very disappointed by the Samy's Camera film department's scanning policy. The development was good but they swore "hi res" scanning. The scans came back at 3130 x 2075, which is the medium res of the scanner they're using, the Noritsu QSS 32 minilab. I did my research on this and the woman asked to make a copy of my findings for her own edification! Annoyingly, the Hi Res capability of the scanner is 4492 x 6774, which is what I was expecting, but they won't do it because of the time it takes. 3130x2075 is what they consider to be a 5x7 print. For $19 a roll, I want full-res. The search continues before I think about buying a scanner I have little time to use.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Happy Xmas to the RF/film/scanner sub-forum wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    ReeRay wrote:
    Happy Xmas to the RF/film/scanner sub-forum wings.gif
    Same to you!

Like a virus, we shall eventually eat the other forums.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    In other news, very disappointed by the Samy's Camera film department's scanning policy. The development was good but they swore "hi res" scanning. The scans came back at 3130 x 2075, which is the medium res of the scanner they're using, the Noritsu QSS 32 minilab. I did my research on this and the woman asked to make a copy of my findings for her own edification! Annoyingly, the Hi Res capability of the scanner is 4492 x 6774, which is what I was expecting, but they won't do it because of the time it takes. 3130x2075 is what they consider to be a 5x7 print. For $19 a roll, I want full-res. The search continues before I think about buying a scanner I have little time to use.

This seems a deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-CanoScan-FS-4000-US-slide-scanner-Excellent_W0QQitemZ140367118323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ae883ff3
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    Molsondog wrote:
    That's very funny.

Note to Dgrin Management - How about a little corner of the Dgrin Universe for this topic.
    Noted, but not likely to happen - we've always tried to make it about the shots, for which we have more and more forums, and by necessity of neatness, the flea market has seperate compartments. However, you'll notice all the gear talk is in one forum (has been forever), and we like it that way. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    we've always tried to make it about the shots

The Doctor is quite right. It IS about the shots whether its a Diana or a Polaroid or a Minolta or a Leica.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    Pindy, thank you for starting this. And though I don't have a Leica, I do have a Mamyia 645 that I rarely shoot with--I should get out more.

And thanks for the scanner info--I need that for some stuff I'm doing too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Hello,

This thread has covered a few topics - but I liked the initial question - which would you rather carry?

My primary landscape camera used to be a D3X and the 14-24 lens. I purchased a M9 and a wate (wide angle tri-elmar) which is a 16mm, 18mm and 21mm lens (three clicks, not a zoom) to compare.

I sold the D3x pretty soon after that.

Since then I've added a 35mm and 75mm lens to the line up and LOVE carrying them everywhere with me. This is because they all fit in a small fanny pack.

RF's are not for everyone, but as a landscape camera the Leica has really bumped my excitement about photography. Getting rid of the backpack was really nice.

A recent M9 / wate pic from Antelope.

Fines_20091208_0221_2_3_4_tonemapped_adj_web_800.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    SteveF wrote:
    Hello,

This thread has covered a few topics - but I liked the initial question - which would you rather carry?

My primary landscape camera used to be a D3X and the 14-24 lens. I purchased a M9 and a wate (wide angle tri-elmar) which is a 16mm, 18mm and 21mm lens (three clicks, not a zoom) to compare.

I sold the D3x pretty soon after that.

Since then I've added a 35mm and 75mm lens to the line up and LOVE carrying them everywhere with me. This is because they all fit in a small fanny pack.

RF's are not for everyone, but as a landscape camera the Leica has really bumped my excitement about photography. Getting rid of the backpack was really nice.

A recent M9 / wate pic from Antelope.

Now we're talking! Thanks for sharing that and great photo. Self-timer or old fashioned shutter release?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Hello,

Shutter release cable and the second hand on my watch. Funny thing is that I did it the same way with my Canon last time I was there. The auto-bracket never got the exposures I wanted and I found it easier just to shoot manual and judge by the histogram.

A couple of others from the dGrin Acadia shootout. Nothing especially 'Leica' about these except the small size of the camera that took them. That and the fact that the tiny lenses are as good as or better than the Nikon's they replaced.

m9, 35lux
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28745&stc=1&d=1255299651

m9, wate
    Fines_20091011_0491_web.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Excellent! That 50 is a very nice lens. I love the rendering of the leaves out the window in your #3. I have 6 rolls ready to go but am looking for another processor that will give me better prices and higher resolution. Need more photos of the outside world, but they don't let me run around much these days!

738159060_5b5U8-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    It's funny—after only a few weeks of ownership, I managed to bump the prism out of alignment and the focus coupling went off a bit. Steve Choi has it now and is gonna fix it and install the MP rangefinder modification to help with contrast and flare in the rangefinder patch. Yeah!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Rangefinder mod is complete and I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet, but it's good to have it be the best it can be. I also had Steve look at my 35mm Summilux, which, despite having undergone a CLA in Boston, had a dry and loose aperture ring. He tightened it up and it feels like a new lens now and the ring won't be easily bumped off its setting. NICE.

Tried processing 7 rolls at North Coast Photographic Services and they were fast and communicative and so far has been the best deal I've found.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Ilford XP2 Super exposed between 260-800 ISO

766884103_mdRNn-L.jpg

766884492_XHJk9-L.jpg

766883222_Lowzn-L.jpg

766882789_z38QH-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 17, 2010
    i dig these.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    I swear I didn't jack with the contrast! It's a much different curve than Tri-X.

I was reading the little paper than comes in a box of XP2 and Ilford tell you you are free to expose between 50 and 800 and you should just develop normally and—somehow—it all works out in the end. I'm not positive how. They actively discourage and push/pull processing believe it or not. I'm trying to do more testing on this, but it could be like them saying to adjust your ASA like you would a digicam and if it's within that range, there should be enough info there to make a print. Now this doesn't assume I'm scanning without ever making a print, but I have to say, of the 5 rolls of XP2 I got developed, they all looked correctly exposed and a couple of them were exposed for 800 and even 1600.

It's not magic film, but it's great to be able to adjust your meter bias on the fly thumb.gif

From the XP2 Fact Sheet:

"No matter which film speed is chosen, standard C41 processing is recommended."

Here's the link
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    i dig these.

Thanks Ian. I hope to have more up soon... after this rain stops.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    769518435_QCXLb-XL.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Just to mention somthing i have the Leica M8.2 and all 3 of my lenses can go on the PanaGF-1 with the M - adapter so to can my canon lens or an FD lens..BTW the Pana GF-1 is a sweet camera for a walk around mini dslr..lollif you can get one go for it..the pancake lens is soooo nice..
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    Just to mention somthing i have the Leica M8.2 and all 3 of my lenses can go on the PanaGF-1 with the M - adapter so to can my canon lens or an FD lens..BTW the Pana GF-1 is a sweet camera for a walk around mini dslr..lollif you can get one go for it..the pancake lens is soooo nice..

The GF-1 seems to be the one to beat right now. After really not digging the E-P1, I'd have to get one in my hands to lift the guilt by association.
  • Options
    jonboy61jonboy61 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    The Olympus versions have in-body stabilization... just sayin'
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    jonboy61 wrote:
    The Olympus versions have in-body stabilization... just sayin'

I wasn't aware the Panasonic didn't. I think whichever one feels more like a camera [should feel to you] wins.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Been borrowing a 90mm Summicron-M (f/2) ASPH. Film went out today and should return by Thursday or Friday. We'll see if I can successfully focus this guy. If you haven't seen one in person, it's remarkably small for a reflex lens but also quite large for a rangefinder lens. It's about as long as the Canon 35/1.4 (maybe just under 3 inches long), has a built-in sliding hood, but has a 55mm filter size. The build quality is as good as anything I've ever held in my mortal hands.

90mm Summicron ASPH

41HJ1CH8WNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited March 1, 2010
    Pindy wrote:
    Been borrowing a 90mm Summicron-M (f/2) ASPH. Film went out today and should return by Thursday or Friday. We'll see if I can successfully focus this guy. If you haven't seen one in person, it's remarkably small for a reflex lens but also quite large for a rangefinder lens. It's about as long as the Canon 35/1.4 (maybe just under 3 inches long), has a built-in sliding hood, but has a 55mm filter size. The build quality is as good as anything I've ever held in my mortal hands.

90mm Summicron ASPH

41HJ1CH8WNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just as an aside, the term "reflex lens" usually refers to a mirror or catadioptric lens design (implying a folded design.) I suspect the reference in this case is just a contraction of a "single-lens-reflex" lens.

Just mildly amusing in that it had me going to look up the lens to be sure, so thanks for the link. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just as an aside, the term "reflex lens" usually refers to a mirror or catadioptric lens design (implying a folded design.) I suspect the reference in this case is just a contraction of a "single-lens-reflex" lens.

You're quite right: short for single lens reflex lens and the dimension requirements that a lens of that type requires by design.