My First Model

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 1, 2009 in People
Not really... it's my wife. I really like this shot of her. I'm trying to learn the art of shooting people. I would love to hear some feedback on this shot. It wasn't posed or anything, mostly a candid shot. She was laying in bed in our spare room and I couldn't resist taking a few photos of her. She looked so beautiful.

I used bounce flash from my speedlight. Aim it at the wall behind me. I had a diffuser on the flash. Maybe I should have take the diffuser off and maybe bounced it off the wall to my right to give more directionally light. Not sure.

How's the exposure? How about skin tone? Does it look wierd that her hands are completely tucked under her head, like her hands are missing? How about the crop?

698020905_25Lcu-L.jpg

B&W:

698020409_X7Qqd-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    it is great shot. lighiting, pose, expression, composition...except the crop. Her legs look distorted and dominate the frame.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the crop. Here are a few other crops of the same shot. Is there one that stands out?

Crop 2 (unconventional) - I like this one because it still has the curve of her hips in the frame but it reduces the amount of leg showing in the foreground:

698438929_GFXWb-L.jpg

Crop 3 - A little tighter, less leg but lose the hips:

698439543_a3CKu-L.jpg

Crop 4 - Much tighter on the face, but now do her hands look odd?

698439918_6YZQ9-L.jpg

And this is a completely different shot from the same series. She wasn't looking at the camera at the time but her hands show a bit more in this shot which I like but I think I like the position of her face in the first shot better.

698440698_8RiJS-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Hi Cuban,
    I agree with Qarik--the original crop was weird.

The first crop after that is the best in my opinion--
    For goodness sakes don't lose the hip! It's part of what makes her look so beautiful.

Don't like the second crop as much without the hip--it just takes so much away.

Again the first crop after the original is awesome.
    She looks very comfortable in front of the camera.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Hi Cuban,
    I agree with Qarik--the original crop was weird.

The first crop after that is the best in my opinion--
    For goodness sakes don't lose the hip! It's part of what makes her look so beautiful.

Don't like the second crop as much without the hip--it just takes so much away.

Again the first crop after the original is awesome.
    She looks very comfortable in front of the camera.

Hey Liz... thanks for the feedback. I too like crop #2. The curve of the hip really balances the photo out and also makes the photo a bit more sexy. Thanks again for the feedback.

My Smug Site
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Crop #2: much better clap.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    To heck w/ convention. #2..... clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site