Options

register.com

crayiiicrayiii Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited July 18, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have photography.crh3.com pointing to raymond.smugmug.com and everything works fine.

I would like to have www.crh3.com or www.photography.crh3.com to point to raymond.smugmug.com but I can't find a way to do it.

I'm using register.com

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 12, 2005
    crayiii wrote:
    I have photography.crh3.com pointing to raymond.smugmug.com and everything works fine.

I would like to have www.crh3.com or www.photography.crh3.com to point to raymond.smugmug.com but I can't find a way to do it.

I'm using register.com

Thanks
    You can set up www.crh3.com the exact same way you set up photography. Just create another CNAME but use www instead of photography. I am not entirely sure register.com gives you the tools to do www.photography.crh3.com though. You would have to ask them if they allow double subdomains.

Good luck!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    You can set up www.crh3.com the exact same way you set up photography. Just create another CNAME but use www instead of photography. I am not entirely sure register.com gives you the tools to do www.photography.crh3.com though. You would have to ask them if they allow double subdomains.

Good luck!
    I tried entering www.crh3.com instead of photography but it put things in a loop.
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 14, 2005
    crayiii wrote:
    I tried entering www.crh3.com instead of photography but it put things in a loop.
    So first off, it looks like they have some sort of default record set up already for www. They usually put this in the A records section, so find it there and delete it. That is the first step that needs to be done (that points the page to their marketing page by default).

Once that is gone, you should be clear to set up a new cname record www to point to www.smugmug.com.

Good luck!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    So first off, it looks like thLey have some sort of default record set up already for www. They usually put this in the A records section, so find it there and delete it. That is the first step that needs to be done (that points the page to their marketing page by default).

Once that is gone, you should be clear to set up a new cname record www to point to www.smugmug.com.

Good luck!
    Looks like they want me to pay extra for their web forwarding service...
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 17, 2005
    crayiii wrote:
    their web forwarding service...
    Alarm bells are going off in my head. I wonder how they're doing the forwarding? Hopefully not by URL frames or something like that.
  • Options
    timttimt Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2005
    The way i did it....
    crayiii wrote:

I'm using register.com

Thanks
    Hi Crayii,
    I use register.com as well and the way i managed to get it to work was by doing the following.

1) Just as a word of caution write down your settings as they are now, in case this doesn't work for you. This way you'll be able to quickly get things back to the way they were in case something doesn't work.

2) Change your settings in Smug Mug's Account Settings by clicking on the Professional button and typing in the url that smug mug should expect to be getting. (I.E. www.timtash.com / www.chr3.com)

3) Log into Register.com and click on the Domain Manager link.

4) Click on Change IP menu option along the top.

5) Click on Add IP type in the url you entered in smug mugs account setting page in the domain name box.

6) In the IP Address box enter [font=verdana, arial, helvetica] 63.81.134.23[/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica] cick add.

[/font]That should do it. This is a hack, and is dependent on the Smug Mug server keeping the same IP Address. If for some reason that IP Address changes your site will no longer work.

If that happens, if your PC is running Windows just
    1)Click on Start | Run
    2)Type CMD and hit enter.
    3)then type PING SMUGMUG.COM and hit enter.
    4)Then you'll see the new IP address to update on Register.com

Hope that helps.

Tim.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    timt wrote:
    Hi Crayii,
    I use register.com as well and the way i managed to get it to work was by doing the following.

1) Just as a word of caution write down your settings as they are now, in case this doesn't work for you. This way you'll be able to quickly get things back to the way they were in case something doesn't work.

2) Change your settings in Smug Mug's Account Settings by clicking on the Professional button and typing in the url that smug mug should expect to be getting. (I.E. www.timtash.com / www.chr3.com)

3) Log into Register.com and click on the Domain Manager link.

4) Click on Change IP menu option along the top.

5) Click on Add IP type in the url you entered in smug mugs account setting page in the domain name box.

6) In the IP Address box enter [font=verdana, arial, helvetica] 63.81.134.23[/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica] cick add.

[/font]That should do it. This is a hack, and is dependent on the Smug Mug server keeping the same IP Address. If for some reason that IP Address changes your site will no longer work.

If that happens, if your PC is running Windows just
    1)Click on Start | Run
    2)Type CMD and hit enter.
    3)then type PING SMUGMUG.COM and hit enter.
    4)Then you'll see the new IP address to update on Register.com

Hope that helps.

Tim.
    Wow, I'm glad I went through Joker...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/