Sunset Time Lapse Photography

mcintoshmcintosh Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2009 in Technique
How would I go about making a smooth time lapse video starting during the day and ending during the night?

In order to avoid flickering, I have to use manual settings and can't change my settings during the time lapse.

What should I do in order to create a smooth transition from day to night?

Comments

• AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    mcintosh wrote:
    How would I go about making a smooth time lapse video starting during the day and ending during the night?

In order to avoid flickering, I have to use manual settings and can't change my settings during the time lapse.

What equipment are you using?
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • mcintoshmcintosh Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2009
    What equipment are you using?

I'm using a Nikon D300 and 70-200mm f/2.8.
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    HW and SW
    mcintosh wrote:
    I've shot sunrises with my G9 in time-lapse mode and achieved the same stepped brightness you are concerned with.

Good video camcorders make smooth transitions. DSLR video is still lagging behind. The 14-140mm lens for the Panasonic's micro4/3 GH-1 camera is advertised as having quiet hardware and smooth stepping software for artifact free video recording. Until the DSLR camera vendors do something similar, there are supposed to be some software products that can detect such brightness steps in video and adjust the brightness of neighboring frames. IIRC the paid Pro version of Quicktime 7 has been suggested as well as much more expensive software. I have not tried any software to do this yet.

Good luck!

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies