Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    cal_gecko wrote:
    What is the definition of 'high key' ?
    As far as I know there is no 'correct' definition of high-key photography. Some photos are considered to be high-key by one but not by someone else.

High-key photos usually have high exposure values (not overexposed), low contrast and lack of/few shadows.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    I just want to say that it makes me very happy to see all the great entries to the contest; both in quantity and quality. Thanks guys! clap.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    cal_gecko wrote:
    What is the definition of 'high key' ?

I've recently read a lot a trying to get a true definition of high-key. This is the Wikipedia definition:

"High-key lighting is a style of lighting for film, television, or photography that aims to reduce the lighting ratio present in the scene. This was originally done partly for technological reasons, since early film and television did not deal well with high contrast ratios, but now is used to suggest an upbeat mood. It is often used in sitcoms and comedies. High-key lighting is usually quite homogeneous and free from dark shadows.
    In the 1950s and 1960s, high-key lighting was achieved through multiple light sources lighting a scene—usually using three fixtures per person (left, right, and central) —which resulted in a uniform lighting pattern with very little modeling. Nowadays, multiple hot light sources are substituted with much more efficient fluorescent soft lights which provide a similar effect.
    The advantage to high-key lighting is that it doesn't require adjustment for each scene which allows the production to complete the shooting in hours instead of days. The primary drawback is that high-key lighting fails to add meaning or drama by lighting certain parts more prominently than others.
    Most recently, shows with bigger budgets moved away from high-key lighting by using lighting set-ups different from the standard three-point lighting. Part of the reason for this is the advent of new lighting fixtures which are easier to use and quicker to set up. Another reason is the growing sophistication of the audience for TV programs and the need to differentiate."

A true High-Key image is done through lighting. You should have a very small tonal range, very little shadow and mid tones, with most of it being in the light tonal range. However, you shouldn't have any clipping of your highlights. Most of the images you find if you Google "High-Key Photos" are simply images that were either overexposed when shot or adjusted in post. This is not a true "High-Key" image, at least not from what I have read.

Now, some of the information I have found states that even the colors used in the image should lean toward very lights or pastels. So an image of a person wearing a black shirt is not truly high-key if you follow this school of thought, even thought you nailed your lighting.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    Most of the images you find if you Google "High-Key Photos" are simply images that were either overexposed when shot or adjusted in post. This is not a true "High-Key" image, at least not from what I have read.
    Yeah, there are many definitions of high-key around, but they all seem to agree that images are *not* over-exposed.

Now, some of the information I have found states that even the colors used in the image should lean toward very lights or pastels. So an image of a person wearing a black shirt is not truly high-key if you follow this school of thought, even thought you nailed your lighting.
    not wearing dark clothes seems to be 'standard' for high-key shots, however this seems to contradict the first sentence of the Wiki text, stating that high-key is a style of lighting. It says nothing about the subject ne_nau.gif

Google some more and you'll find many more ideas about what is high-key and what is not, unfortunately. As far as the challenge goes, if you feel your shot is high-key, you can enter it thumb.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Yeah, there are many definitions of high-key around, but they all seem to agree that images are *not* over-exposed.

not wearing dark clothes seems to be 'standard' for high-key shots, however this seems to contradict the first sentence of the Wiki text, stating that high-key is a style of lighting. It says nothing about the subject ne_nau.gif

I can see where dark clothing could appear similar to shadows in an image and thus push away from a bright, even-toned effect. Fortunately, however, these are definitions of creative techniques and not laws set in stone. So we should feel free to bend or break them at will to achieve our desired effect. Let the viewer decide whether the result is successful!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    I can see where dark clothing could appear similar to shadows in an image and thus push away from a bright, even-toned effect. Fortunately, however, these are definitions of creative techniques and not laws set in stone. So we should feel free to bend or break them at will to achieve our desired effect. Let the viewer decide whether the result is successful!

+1

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    So we should feel free to bend or break them at will to achieve our desired effect.
    Definitely! That goes for all the people-challenges, regardless of the theme thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Just a little bit over half a day to go, people! Don't forget to post your entry to this round! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Hey Ivar... I just wanted say thanks for setting these up. They're a lot of fun.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Hey Ivar... I just wanted say thanks for setting these up. They're a lot of fun.

+1 Couldn't agree more clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoy them thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    No more entries for this round, folks!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    The poll has been added. It will be hard to choose your favorite out of all these great entries I'm sure, but it is time to vote for the December round folks! you can do so here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=151821 wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2010
    The next round has started! Layers and Textures is the January theme wings.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    The next round has started! Layers and Textures is the January theme wings.gif

Of note:
    So far we have a very good pervenyage of entries from Dgrin newbs(less than 100 posts)

MissB- beautiful entry with a shot that is perfect for the technique.thumb.gif

C'mon guys...gals....grab an old fave from the archives and learn this technique!:D
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I've never done this, but my two questions are
    1) Is the texture generally something else you've take a picture of, or are there libraries of textures out there that one taps?
    2) Is this as straight forward as doing a bit of masking (if desired) and then a blend between layers, or is there more to this process. If so, are there recommended tutorials on the flow (for CS)?

Thanks,

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I've never done this, but my two questions are
    1) Is the texture generally something else you've take a picture of, or are there libraries of textures out there that one taps?
    2) Is this as straight forward as doing a bit of masking (if desired) and then a blend between layers, or is there more to this process. If so, are there recommended tutorials on the flow (for CS)?

Thanks,

-a

Start right here....

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154657

a thread that was supposed to be a big fat "hint" on this....thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    A bit late but here are some links to free textures for this months challenge.
    Found a free texture gold mine... thought I'd share:

http://www.grungetextures.com/

Here are a few other places:

http://sixrevisions.com/freebies/textures/free-high-res-rough-textures/

http://sixrevisions.com/freebies/textures/high-res-red-rocks-texture-pack/

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    Thanks, Alex!!
    My total texture trove is 1 texture right now....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Some of the portraits I've seen in the challenge thread are just killer. I'm looking for resources to learn how to do this myself. All I've found so far (in a very limited amount of searching thus far) is the www.stuckincustoms.com webpage. Any other links much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm trying to apply this to car photography as well. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    OT: Is there a way to tag threads so I can find them easily for future reference other than to make a formal bookmark out of it?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    OT: Is there a way to tag threads so I can find them easily for future reference other than to make a formal bookmark out of it?
    Go to Thread Tools and subscribe to the thread. Then in the future go to Quick Links and go to your subscriptions.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    Some of the portraits I've seen in the challenge thread are just killer. I'm looking for resources to learn how to do this myself. All I've found so far (in a very limited amount of searching thus far) is the www.stuckincustoms.com webpage. Any other links much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm trying to apply this to car photography as well. :)

I think this would work given the proper context, such as at a rustic or industrial setting:
    769146860_snDub-M.jpg
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    THANKS!!!

Anonymous, those are just AWESOME!!!

Guess who's going on a downloading spree now mmuuuwwwahhhhh.

Every picture on my hard drive needs to be shaking in it's boots right now.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    time is almost up for this round, people. Post your shots, if you haven't done so already! clap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    The poll for this month's round is up! Please vote for your favorite!!
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    As to not forget about it, I've also moved the textures thread with this one thumb.gif