Musician headshot

JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited November 1, 2009 in People
She needed some photos for publicity. When we looked over the clothes she’d brought, the red dress was my choice for the main shot. It came down to these two shots, numbers 1 and 2. The first photo might be a prettier picture, but the second photo showed more confidence, so we chose #2 as her main publicity shot. Posture is important and it made the difference here.

The black top was for more formal needs. She also submits applications to schools to be a visiting music teacher, and she wanted a shot that said she could communicate with children. So we made the happier, more accessible expression in the one with the blue top.

After we were done, I asked her if she would pose for one more, just for my portfolio. That’s when we got the last one.

The main shots are all a three light setup (main, hair & background). The last shot was one light only.

All comments are welcome.
Jim

698597727_cuigA-L.jpg

698588082_m33vu-L.jpg

698588095_aXd3j-L.jpg

698588110_iCcJW-L.jpg

698228862_fwYsi-L.jpg

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Really nice set of classic, classical musician portraits.

Number 2 is nice, but IMO for programs/publicity she should absolutely use #5, which is the keeper of the set for me (make sure you give her a good BW conversion on her publicity choices as well, since programs usually still print headshots in BW).

Personally, I find 3 a more accessible look than the great-big-smile even though I don't like the orchestra-blacks top as much, but ymmv.

Nicely done all round! thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I don't know the rules for headshots, but #5 is wonderful as an image. It has real mood to it!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Number 2 is nice, but IMO for programs/publicity she should absolutely use #5, which is the keeper of the set for me

Hands down; AGREED!
    5 captivates me and I waana hear her play. This is a very nice photo.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I always loved your images, and still remember your jigsaw puzzle project.

#5 -- that's the winner...
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    They're all pretty good, except #4 which (IMNSHO) looks a bit forced. The only other comment is that I can't see her hands (even less so in #2), and so it looks like someone has just leaned the flute up against her 'cos they can't think of anything else to do with it… eek7.gif

Great lighting in #5, BTW thumb.gif
    …although I'm not sure I like her pose in #5; she looks as if she's fixating on the flute, fascinated by the embouchure plate I dare say…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    :)
    great job.. 5 def my fav for its artist measure..however, for when she's applying for visits they are pretty strict about receiving your typical forward front head shot and you did a great job of capturing her in those as well.. love the idea of having a seperate one that seems more open for the kids..
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    fascinated by the embouchure plate I dare say…

Thanks for the new word!!! I'm surprised it hasn't shown up in a Times crossword that I can recall....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Thanks for the new word!!! I'm surprised it hasn't shown up in a Times crossword that I can recall....

That could depend on which "Times" you're talking about…

London, New York, Asia, Washington, Windy City…

rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Diva – thanks for the reminder on b&w!

Adbsgicom and DBuggs – Thanks a lot.
    April – tank you
    Wil – yeah … what to do with the flute? Well, I researched quite a bit. Many of the flutists photos have them holding it like a weapon. I didn’t like that. They can’t be playing it in a headshot, as the format has to be kept narrow. So, this was my favorite pose. But I understand your point. Thanks.
    Morris – Yes, thanks.

Jim

• gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I really like the last one. The previous ones imo could have used a little more fill. Skin tone seems a little splotchy as well, might be able to even it out in PS. But overall I like em :)
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Done.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry, but Ed, would you do me a favor please. Would you mind taking that down? Thank you kindly. Sorry.