Questions about master/slave flash

rgaetanorgaetano Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Technique
Hi Grinners...

Hoping you can help me improve my technique.

I am shooting a d70 with sb-600 setup as a slave flash. I am able to get some great results, but very inconsistently. For example, last night, I tried to shoot my daughter (7 months old) in her halloween costume. Something is causing her to squint in all the pictures.. I don't know how to fix this.... can't tell if this from a prefill or from one of the flashes.

Here are some examples from yesterday.. would appreciate your comments of how I can improve. I am not very satisfied.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/10158604_hLvp4#698895439_pdHoc

Would also appreciate to any ideas/setup for master/slave setup for the Nikon SB600. How far away should this be from the subject?
Thank you.

RICK GAETANO

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Can't see the pics…

No idea what the password is…

Hint: "None"; tried "zero" "0" "None" "none"…

Gave up…

…moved on

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rgaetanorgaetano Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    password is 'smug'

Sorry Will!

Wil Davis wrote:
    Can't see the pics…

No idea what the password is…

Hint: "None"; tried "zero" "0" "None" "none"…

Gave up…

…moved on

- Wil
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thanks.

I wouldn't say she was squinting in all the pics, just perhaps one which was really noticeable.

Make sure the eyes (or nearest eye) is in focus; sometimes autofocus will get confused, especially if there's lots of lines or defined areas of contrast in the picture.

Looks like you bounced the flash off the ceiling in a couple of cases, which is OK for groups, but in the case of close-ups, a diffuser would work better (even a white handkerchief (clean)) getting rid of some of the harsh shadows.

Q: How far away?
    A: It depends… rolleyes1.gif

You should be able to use an SB600 as a remote with a D70. You can use it as the main light, and use the D70 (with built-in "off" but still controlling the SB600) just to trigger the SB600, or you could use the SB600 as the main light and use the built-in as the fill) - all by using the wonderful Nikon "Creative Flash System", as described in the manual, and also various threads here (use the "Search" function), and other place (use "google")

Got to go - heading out to gig - good luck - if you have any problems finding the info, I'll explain later…

- Wil

PS: Welcome to DGPF, by the way…
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I try to use my SB600 off camera as much as possible. I find that I get better results that way, even just holding off to the side of the camera. Sounds like you're doing the same? On camera set to commander mode built-in flash set to --.

Very cute pictures by the way. Some are out of focus though. Looks like you were using the off camera flash in the shot on the white sheet.

Some of the shots seem a little grainy. What mode are you setting your camera in (Auto, P, etc), and what mode are you setting the flash groups in? Just curious.